The USS Gerald R. Ford Is Big, Heavy, and Expensive as Hell
America’s latest and greatest aircraft carrier by the numbers.
Later this year, for the first time in more than four decades, the United States Navy will enter a new class of aircraft carrier into service. The USS Gerald R. Ford, named for America’s first model-slash-president, is a thoroughly modern carrier through and through. She’s the first American ship to use an electromagnetic catapult to launch airplanes. The first to feature stealth features. The first to use a new class of nuclear reactor capable of powering laser cannons and deflector shields.
Above all else, Ford is one giant, powerful, expensive mammajamma of a vessel.
- RELATEDBernie Sanders vs. Bernie EcclestonePresidential hopeful and Formula One President, the tale of the tape.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe New Mercedes-Maybach S600 Pullman Is Absolutely EnormousFor when colossal just isn’t big enough.READ NOW
- RELATEDGreat Engines Reimagined As Jazz AlbumsA few of our favorite trumpet players.READ NOW
- RELATEDNASA’s Giving Away Brilliant Space Travel Posters For FreeThese WPA-style artworks from NASA’s design studio are wonderful. And they’re free, too.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes-Benz G65 AMG: The Stats They Won’t Tell YouWhat you really want to know about Benz’s ultimate Geländewagen.READ NOW