2017 Ford GT ’66 Heritage Edition Is a Vintage-Liveried Victory Lap
Rare version of the supercar will wear a look pulled from Ford's past Le Mans winner.
Fresh off a class win at this year’s Le Mans—and fifty years since Ford’s triumphant 1-2-3 sweep over Ferrari—the Blue Oval is celebrating with a commemorative edition of its new flagship supercar. The aptly-named 2017 Ford GT ‘66 Heritage Edition pays tribute specifically to the GT40 Mk II driven to victory by Bruce McLaren, with silver stripes over black paint and a #2 decal. As if the process of purchasing a Ford GT weren’t difficult enough, Ford says “extremely limited” quantities of this special edition will be available for 2017. So, we’ll be settling for pictures, then.
Beyond the racing stripes and iconic graphics, Ford added satin-finish gold wheels and black lug nuts, to continue the contrasting-color scheme. Inside, the homage is less specific, because who wants to ride around in a stripped-out interior like a '66 race car had? Ford salutes that austerity with all-black trim, but concedes to modern comfort with carbon fiber and ebony leather. For a little decoration, there are gold appliqués on the headrests and dashboard, and the seat-belts are bright blue.
On the technical side, the car will be no faster than any other 2017 Ford GT, bearing the same 600-horsepower, 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 and 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox. Special-edition buyers will have to settle for the “standard” 0 to 60 run of 3.2 seconds.
While it will be nigh-impossible to nab one of these cars unless your last name is Ford—maybe, just maybe, if it's Shelby—mortals can settle for a smaller prize: the commemorative LEGO Ford GT released just last week. A bird in the hand, eh?
- RELATEDFord GT Makes History at Le MansToyota falls to Porsche in wild prototype finish, and Ford takes the GT checkered flag.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord GT: A Week Of Highs and (Ouch!) LowsA win last week in California, a hard crash today in Belgium.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Ford GT Windshield Uses Gorilla Glass, Like Your iPhoneSupercar spec, smartphone tech.READ NOW
- RELATEDHow To Buy A Ford GTWant Ford's new supercar? You'd better have followers.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord GTs Are Good, But They Need To Be Great. Quick.All four Ford GT race cars were on the track this weekend.READ NOW