French Driver Dies After Historic F1 Championship Crash at Zandvoort
61-year old David Ferrer was involved in a major accident at the Dutch circuit last weekend.
After a horrendous crash that occurred at last weekend's FIA Masters Historic Formula One Championship, French racer David Ferrer passed away. The 61-year old was driving a March 701 in the classic series.
Following the accident, he was resuscitated on site before being transferred via airlift to an Amsterdam hospital. He was in critical condition upon his arrival to the Dutch facility before passing away, according to a report from the FIA.
The motorsport governing body released a statement on the death of Mr. Ferrer, extending its support to his loved ones:
"The FIA regrets to advise that the driver David Ferrer has unfortunately succumbed to injuries sustained in the incident at Zandvoort. The FIA extends its sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Mr Ferrer at this difficult time."
British driver Paul Tattersall was following behind Ferrer at last weekend's event in an Ensign N179, as Motorsport.com reports. His grievance-filled recount of the accident was as follows:
“I had a split second to decide whether to go left or right. Thank heavens I chose right or I’d have hit David.”
The medical staff at Zandvoort promptly arrived at the scene to tend to Ferrer, and their efforts towards saving the Frenchman were described as “exemplary”. FIA technical scrutineer John Gentry said the wreck was "right up there" as one of the harshest crashes he's seen in his long racing tenure.
Mourning the loss of another member in the racing community is always tragic, and we at The Drive offer our condolences to Ferrer's family and loved ones.
- RELATEDJohn Surtees, F1 and Motorcycle Racing Hero, Dies at 83Surtees is the only person who has ever won world championships with both motorcycles and F1 racing.READ NOW
- RELATEDGoodwood Honors F1 Legend John Surtees With Moment of NoiseA proper remembrance for a motorsport hero.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Pikes Peak Hillclimb Was Full of Wonderful Historic CarsGet your fix with these up close and personal photos.READ NOW
- RELATED3 Cars Added to the National Historic Vehicle RegisterCustom American classics immortalized by Historic Vehicle Association.READ NOW
- RELATED5 Forgotten Cars You’ll Only See at Historic RacesThe lovely weirdness you'll find at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca this weekend.READ NOW