Mercedes and Ferrari Are Unwilling to Supply McLaren With F1 Engines in 2018
If McLaren boots Honda out, that only leaves Renault as a potential partner for next season.
While McLaren has been exploring options with Ferrari and Mercedes about potentially teaming up next season, a recent report from Sky Sports says both of these third parties have already snubbed the Woking-based team. If McLaren decides to part ways with Honda, that only leaves Renault, which could be a slight improvement over its current relationship, but not by much.
Even though that could raise an issue with star Formula One driver and two-time world champion Fernando Alonso, team chief Zak Brown says he thinks Honda can "get the job done" for next year. In his perspective, Ferrari and Mercedes opted not to partner up with his crew because they don't want too close of competition.
"We're a big team that knows how to win races and championships so I think most of the teams, while it's a shame to see where we are, they like us where we are. They don't want to get us too close to them which is understandable."
Whereas that could be true, it doesn't change McLaren's situation. Either Honda will have to get it together, or Alonso could be put through another harsh year in 2018. He has already threatened to leave if the team can't figure out its issues, and according to him, October is the final deadline for major change.
- RELATEDRon Dennis Is Completely Out at McLaren After 37 YearsThe longtime company leader has sold his shares for a reported $358 million.READ NOW
- RELATEDMcLaren F1 Boss Says There is 'Zero Tension' With Fernando AlonsoWe would imagine those engine issues aren't exactly helping the relationship.READ NOW
- RELATEDFernando Alonso Says He'll Leave McLaren If Team Doesn't Start WinningThe thrill is gone, and Alonso has set a deadline for results.READ NOW
- RELATEDFernando Alonso Snubbed Brawn GP in 2009Add another to the list of bad career decisions for the Spaniard.READ NOW
- RELATEDFernando Alonso's Hopes of Joining Ferrari or Mercedes Could Be GoneWhere else could the former champ land?READ NOW