Man Trying to Help Crashed Racer at Pikes Peak Gets Rounded up by Police
When things don't go as planned, just stay back.
David Meyer and his #24 Palatov D2 ran into a stroke of bad luck just past Glen Cove at Pikes Peak on Sunday. A sharp bite of throttle sent him and his car sideways just passed the braking zone while shooting up the hill, causing loads of overcorrection and leading to an eventual crash towards the ditch. Shortly after Meyer landed in the rut, a man came jumping out of the woods to give him a hand, but he was given an unwelcoming reaction by the police on site.
The unidentified fan leaped out from what was a restricted area to both media and spectators, causing initial concern for the staff. He then hopped down off of the rock wall and landed on the track to give Meyer a push back to the track. This is where things got sticky as touching a live race car while on the course is, erg, sternly frowned upon. The police drove up to check on Meyer, and as they approached, the man shot back to where he came from.
Several members of the police department took off took to the woods to find the man, eventually leading him out with his hands on his head. That was enough to gain a strong "boooo" from the crowd, making an even bigger spectacle of the event.
The man was loaded into the police car and taken downhill. Luckily for him, he wasn't admitted directly into the custody of the police, and instead was reportedly given an adamant talkin' to to set him straight.
Thankfully nothing came of the situation, but if you're not looking for trouble, make sure to stay off the track while cars are running amuck. If not, you might end up on the internet just like this guy.
- RELATEDThe 2017 Pikes Peak Hillclimb Was Full of Wonderful Historic CarsGet your fix with these up close and personal photos.READ NOW
- RELATEDHow Ducati Helped Keep Motorcycle Racing Alive at the Pikes Peak Hill ClimbDucati USA's Squadra Alpina Race Smart program has helped keep motorcycle racers returning to the mountain in more ways than one.READ NOW
- RELATEDAcura Debuts New TLX Race Car to Tackle Pikes PeakAcura has its hands full with racing right now, announcing its new lineup and plans to take over Pikes Peak.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Tesla-Beating Faraday Future FF 91 Launch at Pikes PeakAdmire Faraday's very quick launch as its FF 91 lays claims to its record-setting run at Pikes Peak.READ NOW
- RELATEDLet Monster Tajima Throwback Footage Get You Excited for the Pikes Peak Hill ClimbThis classic footage of the hillclimb legend will get your blood pumping.READ NOW