Update Reveals 60-Man Roster for 24 Hours of Le Mans
A host of American drivers have been added to the list.
With the 24 Hours of Le Mans approaching in a little over a month, teams are scrambling to get everything organized for the World Endurance Championship's biggest challenge. Crews from each category have been tweaking their cars throughout the early stages of this season, and now, many have a good idea of who will pilot their cars for the day-long race. Spanning 41 teams and 16 countries, this year's Le Mans field features a diverse assimilation of 60 drivers that will compete on June 17-18th.
Of these drivers, nearly a third are American. The likes of Porsche's Patrick Long and Ferrari Scuderia AF Corsa's Townsend Bell will be leading the way for their respective teams, hoping to reclaim the victories of former years. In fact, AF Corse's entire crew is made up of Americans, a big switch up for the typically Italian group. The Porsche crew will have the hefty duty of fending off Toyota Gazoo Racing, last year's runner up and long-time LMP1 class leader.
The most populous class for the event is LMP2, a category that contains 25 cars. GTE-Am follows them with 16 crews, making it a packed field for competition. Collectively, each class will consist of top-level rivals that plan on making this year's 24 Hours their own.
Attached here is the most current list for next month's race. Though it isn't set in stone, this looks to be a formidable group that will likely stick over the next while.
- RELATEDWatch The Trailer For Amazon's New Series Highlighting the 24 Hours of Le MansThe historic race gets well-deserved cinematic attention.READ NOW
- RELATED50th Anniversary Chevy Corvette 24 Hours of Le Mans Safety Car Going to AuctionAmazing thing is, this 'Vette is expected to only go for $25,000–$30,000.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Classic Film Documents McLaren's Pursuit of Perfection at Le MansHere's your dose of vintage motorsport.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota WEC Team Resurrects Half-Destroyed Le Mans Car Mid-RaceAfter a massive crash sent driver José María López to the hospital as a precaution, the team pulled off a miracle.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch The 2017 Toyota TS050 Le Mans Prototype Run at MonzaThe automaker is more serious about winning the series than ever before.READ NOW