Nissan, Mobileye Team Up on Maps for Self-Driving Cars
We’re a step closer to a global map for autonomous cars.
After a demonstration of an autonomous Nissan Leaf navigating London using Mobileye mapping tech, the two companies have struck a deal. It brings us a step closer to a global road map for self-driving cars in every part of the world, a goal that Mobileye is calling the Global RoadBook.
Mobileye is an Israeli tech firm founded in 1999 that’s one of the world’s leading innovators in autonomous vehicle technology. Tech giant Intel announced last month that it was buying Mobileye for $15.3 billion, which is slated to be the largest buyout in the history of Israel’s high-tech industry. This deal with Nissan is its first major move since Intel’s announcement.
Mobileye Chairman Amnon Shashua said of the deal with Nissan, "We now have significant commitments from multiple global automakers to generate and share data from camera-equipped ADAS (advanced driver assistance systems) vehicles.”
As far as timeline, we know the next-generation Nissan Leaf, which is expected to come out this September, will have ProPilot technology—Nissan’s autonomous tech debut in the U.S. Last we heard, Nissan has plans for full autonomy by 2023; as these technologies often show up in high-end vehicles first, don’t be surprised if early forms of self-driving tech start creeping into the Infiniti lineup in the next few years.
Mobileye is also working with BMW and Volkswagen on their autonomous car efforts. About one-fifth of all the cars sold in the world last year were either a Nissan, BMW, or Volkswagen product. That puts Mobileye in a strong position in the autonomous car technology arms race.
- RELATEDNew Nissan Leaf Will Feature ProPilot Autonomous EquipmentNissan's dabbling in autonomy will soon makes its debut.READ NOW
- RELATEDHow Nissan’s Using Anthropology to Make Autonomous Cars SafeWhat happens when robot cars meet complex social interaction, like head nods, horn honks, or even road rage? Dr. Melissa Cefkin is here to teach autonomous cars how to behave.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Debuts European Qashqai Model With ProPILOT Semi-Autonomous FeaturesThe technology is also expected to make its way to the U.S. with the next generation Leaf EV.READ NOW
- RELATEDFear and Autonomy in a Self-driving Nissan LeafHow it feels to surrender mind, body and soul to an EV hatchback.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Tweets its All-New Leaf Will Be Revealed in SeptemberHopefully we will see a better range out of the next generation Leaf.READ NOW