NIO Teases 'Blue Sky' Production Car Ahead of Shanghai
The production EV is set to launch in the Chinese market.
NIO, the Chinese EV company responsible for the EP9 electric supercar, posted a teaser for its upcoming production car on its Facebook page several days ago. Admittedly, we aren't shown much other than the shrouded shoulder and roof line (of what is likely a crossover) plus the tagline, "Blue Sky Coming". What we see bears a strong resemblance to NIO's eve "Vision Car," which is detailed in a video that feels like the set up like an episode of Black Mirror. It features a little girl talking through what her ideal car of the future will be like. According to NIO, the car of the future will be more like a "spaceship on wheels" with "special powers" such as the ability to be summoned by its owner, "magical" doors that open with a wave of the hand, and, of course, the ability to drive itself.
Will NIO's upcoming "Blue Sky" production car be a Skype-enabled, self-driving, slightly creepy living-room-on-wheels? Probably not to this extent, but we'd be surprised if it doesn't have some autonomy, and with a decent number of screened surfaces on the inside.
NIO is set to reveal their production-ready crossover at the Shanghai Auto Show later this month, with plans to launch it in the Chinese market.
- RELATEDChinese Cars May Not Be As Cheap As We Thought"We don't have the patience of the Japanese and Koreans."READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the 1,360-HP Nio EP9 Set a Nurburgring Record for Electric CarsA 7:05 lap makes this battery-powered car quicker around the 'Ring than some serious heavy metal.READ NOW
- RELATEDDid NextEV’s New 1,360-HP NIO EP9 Electric Supercar Set a Nurburgring Record?Chinese carmaker is claiming some pretty wild specs for its new EV.READ NOW
- RELATEDLynk & Co's Four-Door Concept Car SurfacesEmphasis on "doors."READ NOW
- RELATEDFaraday Future Holding Back on Large Production NumbersFinances and time force the company to relax a bit.READ NOW