BMW M2 Gran Coupe Reportedly Coming in 2019
Want a BMW M2 but need a reasonably practical family car? Your prayers have apparently been answered.
Those of you wanting to get into what is probably the best-driving BMW M car on sale today but unable to justify a two-door coupe to your significant other, we have good news. BMW is apparently planning to slap a pair of rear doors onto its fantastic M2.
According to a report from Autocar, the Bavarian automaker is preparing to introduce a 2 Series Gran Coupe, naturally including a GC version of the hardcore M version. For those unfamiliar with BMW vernacular, Gran Coupe is the suffix BMW attaches to its two-door models when it wants to give it four-doors but inexplicably still calls it a "coupe."
The report says the M2 Gran Coupe will be powered by the same 365-horsepower, 3.0-liter, turbocharged straight-six found in the regular M2, be available with a six-speed manual or seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, and drop sometime in 2019.
The M2 competes directly against the Audi RS3 and Mercedes-AMG CLA 45. Widely recognized as the most engaging to drive, the M2 will now match its rivals on practicality with the introduction of a stretched-and-sloped Gran Coupe version.
While BMW has yet to officially acknowledge the existence of a future four-door 2er, we've reached out to the company for comment on this latest report and will update this story if we get a response.
UPDATE: In an email, a BMW spokesperson told The Drive that they are "unable to comment or speculate on potential future product."
- RELATEDBMW Releases Its Own 'Spy Shots' of a Camouflaged BMW 8 SeriesBMW decided to bring its own photographer when it took the upcoming 8 Series for a spot of testing in Italy.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe BMW M2 at Lime Rock: Still the Coupe du JourThe market has spoken: The M2 is a certified smash. But bring cash.READ NOW
- RELATEDMonticello Motor Club's BMW M2 Racing School Is the Ivy League of Driver TrainingBetween race-prepped BMW M2's and top instructors, MMC's school is an unmatched trial-by-fire for drivers making the leap to racing.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 405-Horsepower BMW M2 CS Will be Limited to 1,000 Units, Report SaysOrder this twin-turbo rocket while you can starting in January.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe BMW M2 CS Will Probably Be 400 Horsepower of German PerfectionBMW's best car might just be a smaller car with a bigger engine.READ NOW