Supercharged Range Rover Velar SVR Reportedly Coming in October
The Velar SVR is expected to produce 542 HP, hit 62 MPH in 4.2 seconds, and weigh less than 4,000 pounds.
Those patiently waiting for a hotted-up, SVO-tuned version of Land Rover's beautifully minimalist Range Rover Velar can now mark their calendars.
According to a report from Autocar, the upcoming Velar SVR will be powered by the same 542-horsepower, supercharged, 5.0-liter V-8 from the Range Rover Sport SVR, get from zero to 62 miles per hour in about 4.2 seconds, and is scheduled to hit the road (British ones, at least) this October. The report goes on to say that the SVR-ified Velar will weigh a little less than 4,000 pounds which sounds like a lot, but is more than 200 pounds less than the 2.0-liter equipped, plain-Jane Velar.
As with other SVR models and competing SUVs from BMW M, Mercedes-AMG, et al., expect more aggressive bodywork, new lightweight wheels, and a stiffer, more sporting suspension and chassis setup.
In an email to The Drive, a Jaguar Land Rover spokesperson declined to confirm or deny the existence of a future, faster Velar variant. That being said, an undeniably supercharged version of the luxury crossover was spotted making the rounds at a certain German racetrack back in June, so take that for what it's worth.
The regular 2018 Range Rover Velar starts at $49,900. Expect a Nürburgring-optimized SVR edition, however, to wade well into the $100,000 range.
- RELATEDThe 2018 Range Rover Velar Review: A Little Less Is Way MoreWhen minimalist design meets maximum crossover, you get the Range Rover Velar.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Upcoming Range Rover Velar SVR Makes a Monstrous Roar at the 'RingTurn up your volume and enjoy.READ NOW
- RELATEDRange Rover Velar Officially RevealedIt may be an all-new design, but it's pure Range Rover.READ NOW
- RELATEDSwiss Watchmaker Zenith Unveils Custom El Primero for Range Rover VelarA modern take on the classic El Primero, inspired by Range Rover's new mid-size SUV, drops at Geneva.READ NOW
- RELATEDListen to This 2018 Range Rover Sport SVR Scream Around the NurburgringLions, tigers, and Range Rovers, oh my.READ NOW