Sébastien Loeb Returns to the World Rally Championship
The most successful WRC driver ever will return with co-driver Daniel Elena for three events in 2018.
Sebastien Loeb dominated the World Rally Championship, winning 78 events and nine consecutive championships from 2004 to 2012 before retiring. Since then Loeb has dabbled in World Rallycross, LeMans, and even tested a Formula 1 car. But WRC has just announced that Loeb will be returning to his rally roots for the 2018 season.
Loeb's return should not significantly upset the overall championship, as he will only compete in three of the thirteen events on the schedule. He will replace Craig Breen in the Citroën Total Abu Dhabi line-up. Breen will drive the remaining ten events, while teammate Kris Meeke will drive all thirteen. Loeb and Elena will race in Mexico, Corsica, and Spain next year.
"We opted for Mexico since I have good memories of racing there and the route hasn't changed too much since I was last involved in the championship,” said Loeb. “I thought it made sense to take part in the French round, especially since I’ve always loved racing on Tarmac, although I’m not familiar with the current route of the Tour de Corse." Indeed, Loeb started as Citroën's tarmac expert, only mastering gravel and other more slippery surfaces with practice and experience.
“Spain seemed like a good option too," said Loeb. "And although I’m expecting it to be pretty tough given the time that has passed since I last competed there, I also wanted to contest a gravel rally."
Back in the day, WRC results were typically Loeb on top, then a race to see who would place where behind him. Most of Loeb's former competitors have left the WRC, and a new crop of younger competitors have replaced them. It will be interesting to see how they do against Loeb, who will be a valuable benchmark for judging their own performance. It's also a great opportunity for them to experience racing against a true rally legend.
- RELATEDSebastien Loeb Thinks He's Still Quick Enough for WRCBut is that enough for the nine-time champion to return?READ NOW
- RELATEDSebastien Loeb Will Return to Citroen WRC for Testing After 5-Year BreakThe nine-time world champion will try out the C3 rally car on asphalt early next month.READ NOW
- RELATEDSébastien Loeb Could Do More WRC Tests With CitroënThe nine-time champion recently returned to the team for testing.READ NOW
- RELATEDSebastien Loeb Hints That Peugeot May Leave Dakar After 2018The 9-time WRC champion may only have one more chance at a Dakar win.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Sebastien Loeb's Record-Breaking Pike's Peak Hillclimb Car Ride AgainDriver Sebastien Loeb bought the Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak Special from the museum where the car was on display.READ NOW