A Koenigsegg Agera RS in the Flesh and the Cutest Car Find of the Year: My Favorite Stories of 2017
It's been an eventful year in car news. These are my favorite stories of 2017.
By our estimates, The Drive will have published more than 10,000 articles in 2017. These are my five most memorable stories, in no particular order.
As a 240Z owner who has watched as these legendary sports cars have skyrocketed in price, I loved investigating why the original Fairlady Z is such a hot item right now. It's always been a fan favorite, but prices for rust-free examples stayed low until recently. you'd be hard-pressed to find a great one for less than $25,000.
There comes a point in every car spotter's life when he or she has encountered a car so cool that continuing to look out for exotic cars is nearly pointless. Seeing and hearing the record-breaking Koenigsegg Agera RS first at a car meet and then at a gas station was definitely my peak, and writing about it felt truly special.
What began as a normal Craigslist find piece became a running inside joke. After I covered this cute little turbocharged Kei car for sale, I started seeing Nissan Figaros at nearly every car show I went to, including the L.A. Auto Show. No matter what crazy cars turned up at these events, the Figaro always stood out the most to me. They're stalking me, I swear.
I love German luxury sedans and I never liked Korean cars in general. But for some reason, I'm excited that the Kia Stinger GT, reviewed by Lawrence Ulrich at The Drive, is making the likes of Mercedes and BMW nervous. With competing brands are coming out with more and more new models that look exactly the same, maybe the Stinger is the light at the end of the tunnel for performance sedans.
It seemed like a car broke a new Nurburgring record almost every week in 2017. It became a snoozefest after a while. It also begs the question: Why is lapping this track so important? Yes, it's the longest circuit in the world, but the article points out why it isn't always a good thing. Whenever I heard the news about a new 'Ring champion, I looked back at this article by Eric Brandt at The Drive and remembered why I didn't care.
- RELATED2017 Racing Game Holiday Gift GuideVirtual stocking stuffers to keep 'em racing through the holidays.READ NOW
- RELATEDPlanes, Trains and Automobiles: 107 Million Americans to Travel for HolidaysTravel organization AAA projects highest year-end travel volume ever.READ NOW
- RELATEDTop 5 Christmas Gifts for Luxury Car LoversThese luxury car-branded gifts are also extremely useful.READ NOW
- RELATEDTop 10 Safest Cars of 2017When choosing which multi-ton chunk of metal to drive around at highway speeds...it's best to know how safe it is.READ NOW
- RELATEDThese Cars Are the 10 Best-Selling Four-Doors of 2017Crossovers are popular, but we're not giving up on sedans just yet.READ NOW