Hyundai Donates Six Ioniq Hybrids to the National Parks Service
The Hyundai hybrids were given to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Santa Monica Mountains, and National Capital Parks-East.
In order to significantly up its tree-hugging street cred, Hyundai has donated six Ioniq Hybrids to the National Parks Service. Specifically, cars were given to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and North Carolina, California's Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area, and Washington, D.C.'s National Capital Parks-East. Each park received two of the new, blue Hyundais as part of their staff fleet.
"Hyundai is proud to support the national parks with America’s most fuel-efficient car, the Ioniq Hybrid," said Hyundai America CMO Dean Evans, referencing the Ioniq's 58 miles per gallon EPA rating. "Our Ioniq Hybrid will deliver fuel-efficient and versatile transportation for the important work that the National Park Service does on a daily basis."
In response, "the National Park Service is grateful to Hyundai for this donation, which reflects the long-standing tradition of private sector support for national parks and the National Park Service," said NPS Partnerships & Philanthropy chief Reginald Chapple. "In these very large parks with widespread facilities and visitor services areas, these vehicles will improve the ability of park staff to care for these iconic places."
The 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid couples a 1.6-liter four-cylinder with an electric motor, produces 139 combined horsepower and sends said power to the front wheels via a six-speed dual-clutch transmission. The Ioniq also happens to share a powertrain and chassis with the Kia Niro, a hybrid that The Drive's chief auto critic, Lawrence Ulrich, liked a lot. If it's good enough for Ulrich, it's good enough for the NPS.
Priced at a Prius-beating $22,200, the hybrid Hyundai apparently boasts up to 690 miles of range.
- RELATEDHyundai Ioniq Hybrid Guns for The Top, Priced Way Below Toyota PriusIt starts at only $23,035 and may be one of the best bargains for efficiency.READ NOW
- RELATEDHyundai's 80-MPG, Bisimoto-Tuned HyperEconiq Ioniq is Coming to SEMABisimoto gets busy with Hyundai's hybrid.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Hyundai Ioniq to Debut as EV, Hybrid, and Plug-In HybridA first peek at the first car available in all three major alternative-propulsion flavors.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Installing Up to 100 Electric Car Chargers in America's National ParksThe location of the first one's a little on the nose, though.READ NOW
- RELATEDChrysler, Hyundai Discussing Tech PartnershipCEO Sergio Marchionne confirms no merger in the works, but tech sharing certainly is.READ NOW