Scalper Is Selling a Mercedes-AMG Project One Reservation for $5.22 Million
A Project One build slot has been spotted on sale for more than double the hypercar's MSRP.
Considering the level of anticipation that surrounded the unveiling of Mercedes-AMG's Project One hypercar, we'd be lying if we said we didn't see this coming.
Spotted on German marketplace Mobile is an AMG Project One for sale. Considering all 275 copies of AMG's F1-car-for-the-street are said to be spoken for, what we have here is likely an opportunistic—I mean, enterprising—would-be Project One owner looking to make a quick profit off of their proverbial spot in line. The scalper in question is asking for €4.51 million ($5.22 million) for the chance to own Merc's 1,000-horsepower hypercar. That's more than double its original sticker price of $2.4 million.
The financial flipping of fast and desirable cars has become all too common, with everything from limited-run Porsches to hotted-up Civics all falling victim to the greed, ahem, "market adjustment" that ensues when demand outstrips supply. Back in July, Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer vowed to ban anyone caught reselling the Valkyrie (Aston's answer to the Project One, essentially) from ever getting their hands on any special AMs in the future. Porsche's GT department is also moving forward with a similar crackdown.
Considering the Project One for sale here lists a specific dealership near Munich, DI Automobile, and the car's already-short client list of 275, we wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes' customer relations team is already making some revisions to said list as we speak.
Using a plug-in hybrid, 1.6-liter V-6 powertrain straight out of the company's hugely dominant F1 program, the Mercedes-AMG Project One will bring Lewis Hamilton-cosplay on your daily commute to entirely new levels.
- RELATED1000-Horsepower Mercedes-AMG Project ONE Hypercar UnveiledFinally, a Formula One car you can take to the grocery store.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Says It's Ready to Battle the Mercedes-AMG Project One HypercarThe official manufacturer of Formula E contemplates a streetable electric racer.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Ferrari FXX K Evoluzione Could Be Maranello's Answer to the Mercedes-AMG Project OneWhat, like Ferrari will let Mercedes steal the spotlight?READ NOW
- RELATEDBruce Wayne Will Drive a Mercedes-AMG Vision Gran Turismo in Justice LeagueThis is a huge upgrade from his old Jeep Renegade.READ NOW
- RELATEDNico Rosberg Says Genetics Have Everything to Do With F1 SuccessThe former F1 champ's father Keke was also a successful racer during his prime.READ NOW