Sedan Likely Coming to the BMW i Hybrid-Electric Lineup
Perhaps the i5 isn't dead after all.
Last we heard, the rumored BMW i5 was dead. However, a new teaser from BMW suggests otherwise. While it might not be an i5, per se, there’s definitely something new coming to the futuristic i sub-brand of hybrid/electric cars and it sure looks like a sedan or liftback slotted between the i3 compact and i8 sports car.
The BMW teaser shows us the whole car, but it’s obscured by a sheet which is blue, the signature color for the BMW i cars. This mystery car which will be unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show not a finished production car, but a concept which will give us an idea of the next entry in the i lineup.
In all likelihood, it will be some form of an all-electric Tesla Model 3 fighter. Speculation from Autocar says the new car’s range will be anywhere from 311-435 miles. If the actual figure is anywhere in that range, this will be an extremely competitive EV.
An animated video released by BMW showing a brief timeline of the company’s history and a general overview of how electric cars work may have taken some mystery out of this new BMW. We see some i3 models in the middle of the video, but towards the end we get a brief look at a cartoon version of a distinctly different vehicle which could be the (possibly) upcoming i5. The car underneath the blue sheet is probably something different that will lead up to a new production model, but the car in this video is a pretty good hint of what we'll see.
Skip to 3:13 to see a few seconds of what might be the BMW i5.
- RELATEDOur Guesses About BMW’s Hypothetical, Family-Hauling i5 EVBMW is being cagey, but a carbon fiber build and range-extending engine are likely.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Reportedly Cancels i5 to Focus on Electrifying Other VehiclesThe brand's intermediary product between the i3 and i8 has reportedly been put in the dirt.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW to Launch 25 Electrified Vehicles by 2025—Including Rolls-Royce and M ModelsThe total includes 12 all-electric models.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Announces Updated i3 and Performance i3sDid BMW just create an electric hot hatch?READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Unveils Mini Electric Concept Ahead of FrankfurtAn all-electric concept born from the DNA of BMW's i-project cars.READ NOW