2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Gets More Standard Tech and a Higher Price Tag
Is it worth $10 grand more than a base BMW M3?
We love the Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio, but we do not love the cost of entry. This Italian sport sedan was already a bit pricey starting at $73,595 (with destination), and according to Cars Direct, the cost is going up $1,500 for the 2018 model year... making the cheapest new Quadrifoglio you can buy $75,095. Mamma mia.
The good news is, you’re getting more goodies for that $1,500 premium. You now get forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking as standard safety tech (which actually work, by the way) and a Harmon Kardon 14-speaker premium audio system. These are amenities you won't find standard on the Quadrifoglio's competitors, which does take the sting out of the price jump just a little.
Still, the Guilia Quadrifoglio is the only sport sedan in its class that breaks the $70,000 mark for its starting price—and it breaks it by quite a bit. The starting prices for the BMW M3, Cadillac ATS-V, and Mercedes-AMG C63 are all around the $65,000 mark. However, does anyone with that kind of scratch really order just the base models of those cars and call it a day, or do they pile on the optional packages that nobody needs but everyone wants?
Then again, the Alfa is arguably also near the top of its class in a lot of other regards, which is saying a lot considering the outstanding competition. The Ferrari-derived, 2.9-liter twin-turbo V-6 making 505 horsepower, competent handling, and an intoxicating Italian look and sound make this one spicy meatball. It’s not available with a stick in the US, but you probably won’t care when you’re drifting around in Race mode. The question is: is it really worth that much dough? The only place where you can find out is behind the wheel.
- RELATEDThe 505-HP Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Costs $72,000; Lesser Models Start at $37,995The high-powered model is available starting this month.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the 505-HP Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Set a Nurburgring Record7:32 is now the four-door 'Ring time to beat.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Won’t Offer a Manual Transmission Here After AllSad...but not all that surprising.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This 505-HP Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Hit 176 MPH on the AutobahnThe Quadrifoglio's top speed is 191 MPH, but this is pretty damn close.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the 505-HP Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio Go Around the NurburgringJust listen to its grunt.READ NOW