Watch These Honda NSXs Lap the Nurburgring
What do we have here?
If you thought Honda would unleash the hybrid, 573-horsepower NSX supercar into the world and leave it at that, you've got another thing coming... probably.
Two Honda NSX prototypes were recently sighted doing a spot of testing at the Nurburgring wearing what are presumably telemetry sensors on their roofs and running into the engine compartments. Could this be the rumored lightweight, rear-wheel-drive, non-electrified NSX Type R making its way around the Nordschleife? The inner VTEC purist in me definitely hopes so.
However, judging from the lack of camouflaged aero bits and Honda's supposed all-electric plans for the supercar's next-generation, the realist in us is thinking that this may be Honda cooking up an incrementally-improved version of the NSX for the next model year, possibly kicking off a series of year-to-year updates a la that other Japanese supercar, the Nissan GT-R.
Or perhaps it's just a couple of private NSX owners on a track day with some hockey pucks and tape, pulling the collective legs of the automotive press. Who knows what's real anymore?
Sold as an Acura in the states, the 2017 NSX is powered by a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6 and a total of three electric motors mated to a nine-speed dual-clutch transmission. Often described as a budget Porsche 918 Spyder, the NSX is available for purchase right freakin' now, if that sounds like your cup of tea. Or, y'know, you could hold out and see what this turns out to be.
- RELATEDShould Acura Build a Non-Hybrid, Lightweight NSX Type R?The car's chief engineer certainly seems to think so.READ NOW
- RELATEDNext Honda NSX Could Be an All-Electric Hypercar SlayerThe electrification of the performance car world marches on.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This 2017 Honda NSX Pass Everyone At the NurburgringThe in-car video gives us a good idea of how the new NSX performs at speed.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Acura NSX Ruin a Perfectly Good Set of TiresApparently, this Acura runs on Dunkin'.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Acura NSX For Sale, Gently UsedSold as-is, no warranty.READ NOW