Teen Driver Chevy Camaro Crash Kills Unbelted Passenger
The passenger who died was reportedly not wearing a seat belt.
A 16-year-old was driving a 2002 Chevy Camaro Sunday morning near Liberty, South Carolina, when the car went off the side of the road and hit a ditch, mailbox, and culvert before overturning, according to WYFF News 4. One of the passengers was not wearing a seat belt and was killed after being thrown from the car during the crash. The driver and a second passenger were wearing seat belts and survived, though were hospitalized.
The passenger killed was 20-year-old Abraham Abdallah Bawawi, according to the report. The second passenger was 21-year-old Zentura H. Paz.
According to NHTSA, the national seat belt usage rate is higher than ever, 90.1 percent. But that still leaves 9.9 percent of the population that, for whatever reason, refuses to buckle up. The primary purpose of a seat belt is to prevent ejection from the vehicle in a crash, which generally leads to far more severe injuries than remaining inside the car. Ejection is exactly what happened to the unbelted passenger who died in this particular crash.
The investigation into the crash is not yet complete, but charges are pending.
- RELATEDFord Flex Saves Bystanders From Crashing Chevy CamaroIt's not just Mustangs that go spinning into crowds of people.READ NOW
- RELATEDTeen Driver Arrested After Livestreaming Fatal Crash That Killed Sister"Hey everybody, if I go to jail for life, you already know why," she says in the Instagram video.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis is What Happens When You Supercharge a Chevrolet Camaro SS500 horsepower at the wheels ain't a bad thing, as Matt Farah discovers.READ NOW
- RELATEDRussian Woman Known as 'Sexiest Motorcyclist' on Instagram Killed in High-Speed Crash"She was breaching every rule of safety and riding at high speed pretty often," her friend told local media.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Motorcyclist Narrowly Avoid a Crash With a Honda S2000Just a reminder to always be alert.READ NOW