Honda Unveils New CRF250R Dirt Bike
No future mobility tech here—just a good old fashioned dirt bike.
During the American Motorcycle Association National Motocross Championship at Loretta Lynn’s Ranch in Tennessee, Honda unveiled its all-new 2018 CRF250R. It’s like a 250cc version of the popular CRF450R that came out last year.
The new 250 has many similar improvements that its 450 counterpart received. Engine upgrades include increased valve size and lift, a higher compression ratio, dual exhaust ports/headers/exhaust, and downdraft air intake.
Other upgrades include a lighter frame with better flexibility characteristics, electric start, revised chassis geometry, coil-spring fork, and a titanium fuel tank.
“We’re excited to show this all-new, no-compromise model to our customers, and it’s appropriate that we do so with our family of Red Rider amateur motocrossers here at Loretta Lynn’s,” said Lee Edmunds, American Honda’s Manager of Motorcycle Marketing Communications in a press release published by Motorcycle.com. “The CRF450R has become the top-selling 450cc motocross model, and now that the CRF250R shares many of the same performance- focused updates, we’re confident it will enjoy similar success in the market and on racetracks everywhere.”
Aesthetically, this is a satisfyingly simple dirt bike. It’s clear that it was made for off-roading and not much else. With an industry obsession on future transportation methods, alternative fuel sources, and “mobility”, it’s refreshing to see an old fashioned, no frills dirt bike with the model year of 2018.
- RELATEDHonda Proving Center Reopens as a Mojave Desert PlaygroundThe hills are alive with the sound of VTEC once again.READ NOW
- RELATEDDirt Bikes, Death Valley, and the Wheelie King of New YorkThe coldest time of year is the best time to ride a dirt bike in the hottest place in America.READ NOW
- RELATEDKTM Fuel-Injected 2-Stroke Engines for Off-Road Motorcycles Coming SoonThis is an industry first.READ NOW
- RELATEDNo Dirt Bike Can Master This Impossible Hill ClimbWatching bikers try to blast up Belgium's baddest bluff never gets old.READ NOW
- RELATEDTravis Pastrana Is Selling Motocross UnderwearHere's something you never knew you needed.READ NOW