Mazda RX-9 Rumors Swirl Once Again, Reveal Allegedly Coming in October
A Japanese publication is reporting 450 horsepower, forced induction, and a fall debut.
Every several months, it seems, the internet rumor mill fires up reporting a return of a rotary-powered flagship sports car from Mazda—often stemming from Mazda itself. As a change of pace, today's Mazda RX rumor isn't coming from the horse's mouth, rather a Japanese publication called Levolant Boost.
As reported by Carscoops, a Mazda sports car will allegedly debut at this October's Tokyo Motor Show and will be named the RX-9. Design-wise, it'll reportedly take heavy inspiration from the RX-Vision concept car seen above and weigh in somewhere between a little over 1,300 kg (or 2,866 lbs).
The report didn't go into many engine details other than that it would use rotary power, use some kind of forced induction, produce approximately 450 horsepower, and will be marketed as "Skyactiv-R", with the R presumably denoting both "rotary" and "racing." Clever, no?
Levolant Boost also said the Mazda RX-9 will cost around $71,000 (converted from 8 million yen).
More interestingly perhaps, is the fact that this year marks the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the Cosmo and the now-famed, Wankel rotary engine that came with it. Couple that with the advent of cars like the revived, hybrid Honda NSX and upcoming, maybe-hybrid Toyota Supra, there really isn't a better time for Mazda to get back into the '90s sports car nostalgia game as well.
Come on, Mazda. The teases and rumors have gone on for too long. Just think of it as a 50th birthday present to the Cosmo ... please?
- RELATEDMazda Hints at a Return of the Rotary (Again) as a Range-Extending EngineA new Wankel engine would ideally be coupled to a "generator" of some sort, Mazda says in its official brand magazine.READ NOW
- RELATEDHappy 50th Birthday to the Mazda Rotary EngineMazda's spinning triangle is officially over the hill.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Releases the 100Kwh Battery and the Mazda RX-9 May Have 400 Horsepower: The Evening RushPlus, spoil your dog with the MKD9 Dog Haus and enjoy a pint from Monkish Brewing Company.READ NOW
- RELATEDMazda RX-7 Enthusiasts Will Celebrate With a Different Sort of Fireworks on July 77's Day—July 7—celebrates love for the Mazda RX-7.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 700-Horsepower Mazda RX7 Is Your Daily Dose of RotaryFor when you just can't get enough Wankel, there's this.READ NOW