Goldman Sachs Predicts Tesla Shares Will Be Cut in Half in the Next 6 Months
Will the Tesla nay-sayers be proven right?
The most valuable car company in the US is in for a rude awakening according to Goldman Sachs analyst David Tamberrino. Tamberrino just lowered his six-month price target for Tesla from $190 down to $180 which is 49 percent less than where it was at Monday’s market close, according to CNBC.
This prediction comes from signs that sales of the Model S sedan and Model X crossover have plateaued. Goldman Sachs, which predicted the Model 3 would be late, thinks that pretty much everybody who wants a Tesla already has one. What about the Model 3, you ask? Tamberrino thinks it’s overhyped.
"We remain sell rated on shares of TSLA where we see potential for downside as the Model 3 launch curve undershoots the company's production targets and as 2H17 margins likely disappoint," Tamberrino wrote in a note to clients this morning. "This comes as demand for TSLA's established products (Model S and Model X) appear to be plateauing slightly below a 100k annual run rate."
Tesla had a rough second quarter selling only 22,000 cars which were fewer than Tamberrino’s forecast of 23,500 deliveries. That means even Tesla skeptics are surprised with their underwhelming performance so far this year. Tamberrino also believes that “cash burn should intensify as we progress through 2017” for Tesla.
This report from Goldman Sachs is part of the reason Tesla’s stock was down 5 percent in just the first hour of trading on Wednesday. With budding competition for the much-hyped Model 3 and possible plateauing for the Model S and Model X, Tesla might be facing some difficulty on the trading floor for the rest of 2017.
- RELATEDGoldman Sachs Thinks Tesla Model 3 Will Be Late, Downgrades TSLA StockTesla says the Model 3 is on track for 2017 production. Goldman Sachs thinks otherwise.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Passes GM to Become America's Most Valuable Car CompanyOn paper, at least.READ NOW
- RELATEDProduction Tesla Model 3 Will Be Ready This Friday, Says Elon MuskThe first 30 customers will get their Model 3s on July 28th, Musk tweets.READ NOW
- RELATEDElon Musk Tells Angry Tesla Investors To Buy Ford StockNo word yet on whether this was serious or just snark.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Is Now Worth More Than Ford, If You Believe The Market"Stormy weather in Shortsville..." CEO Elon Musk tweets as Tesla market cap hits $48.7 billion.READ NOW