Listen to the 2018 Kia Stinger Rev Its Heart Out
How does Kia's fastest-accelerating car sound?
We already know the Stinger will be the fastest accelerating car Kia's ever made. We've also heard rumblings that it will cost less than $27,000, which should make it quite the performance bargain. However, buying a sports sedan—no matter how inexpensive it may be—is an inherently irrational decisioninvolving criteria that go beyond stats and speed-per-dollar ratios. A major part of the sports sedan buying and driving experience is how it makes you feel, and a large part of that can be made (or broken) depending on the way the machine sounds.
Does the Kia Stinger have the aural chops to duke it out with its more expensive targets? Let's find out.
Of course, quality is in the ear of the beholder, but to mine, the Stinger we have here sounds a little...uninspired. It just sounds like any old car. Hopefully, reports that Kia Australia is working on its own to ensure the Stinger sounds great when it hits their shores are correct and said plan comes to fruition. Maybe it'll inspire Kia of America to do the same.
The Kia Stinger comes equipped with either a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder producing 255 horsepower with power going to the rear wheels, or a 3.3-liter twin-turbo V-6 good for 365 hp mated to an AWD system. We're not 100 percent sure which one we were just listening to, but I have a hunch it was the upmarket V-6. Although for Kia's sake, I hope it wasn't.
- RELATEDThe Kia Stinger GT Is the Quickest 0-60 MPH Car Kia Has Ever MadeKia's premium twin-turbo sedan lays down the numbers quicker than expected.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Kia Stinger GT May Cost Less Than $27,000Will the new Kia pack BMW M2 performance for the cost of a BRZ?READ NOW
- RELATEDKia Releases Video A Stinger Drifting During Winter TestingA 365-horsepower, RWD sedan sounds like a pretty good deal to us.READ NOW
- RELATEDGenesis G70 to Outperform Kia Stinger, Deemed 'Pure Sports Sedan'The Stinger's closely-related cousin is set to deliver even better performance.READ NOW
- RELATEDKia Forte Koup DiskontinuedR.I.P. Kia Forte Koupe (2010-2016)READ NOW