Nissan Planning to Bring More Nismo Models to Market
Nissan wants to boost Nismo car production from 15,000 vehicles a year, according to a report.
Nissan began to expand its Nismo in-house tuning and aftermarket parts division into more of a sub-brand for its performance models in 2013, with the introduction of the Juke Nismo, the 370Z Nismo, the GT-R Nismo, and a few other performance-trimmed models. Now, however, it appears a bunch of additional Nissan cars will soon be hitting the market with that same special nomenclature, according to Top Gear.
Currently, around 15,000 Nismo models leave Nissan factories each year, according to the report. But the Japanese automaker wants to see that number rise. To make this happen, Nissan is working to develop new “appealing products” as soon as it can, according to Top Gear. As of now, it's unclear what new models might wear the Nismo tag in the future.
“With the combined expertise of Nissan group companies,” Nismo CEO Takao Katagiri said, “Nismo road cars will make customers enjoy Nissan cars more than ever.”
With the addition of new performance-branded models, it's unclear if those new Nismo Nissans will come with high-performance brake packages and power upgrades, or just be outfitted with bits like fake carbon trim. We at The Drive can only hope for the former.
- RELATEDNISMO To Make Nissan R32 GTR OEM Replacement PartsThe "Heritage Parts Program" will first offer OEM parts from NISMO for the R32, eventually offering the parts for others in the bloodline.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Nissan Leaf Rally Car Display its Off-Road ChopsThis Leaf could be the first EV to run the 10,000-mile Mongol Rally.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan, Mobileye Team Up on Maps for Self-Driving CarsWe’re a step closer to a global map for autonomous cars.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Has Turned its Back on NISMO, And That's a Damn ShameThe brand needs a total overhaul of their once outstanding enthusiast car offerings.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Builds GT-R Cop Car Nicknamed "Copzilla"Loaded with nearly four dozen Federal Signal LEDs, this is one lit cruiser.READ NOW