Tesla Workers in Germany Are Threatening to Strike
The workers' union is claiming that the employees are being paid 30 percent less than the union wage.
Workers at an engineering company recently acquired by Tesla, Grohmann Engineering, could be headed toward a strike, The Wall Street Journal reports.
German union IG Metall is requesting a worker strike for employees at the engineering firm, Tesla Grohmann Advanced Automation, the report said. Tesla acquired the firm in November 2016, and according to the union, the workers have been underpaid by 30 percent since the ownership changed. The union will decide on Tuesday if it wants to move forward with a strike.
"We continue to work directly with Tesla Grohmann employees and are prepared in the event there is an action initiated by the union," a Tesla spokesperson said, according to Business Insider. "We don’t anticipate any impact on the Model 3 timeline."
Tesla is working to increase its production numbers going forward. In 2016, Tesla built 84,000 cars—but with the launch of the Model 3, the electric car maker is working to boost that number to 500,000 cars per year in 2018 and 1 million per annum in 2020. It's unclear if a prolonged strike could affect that, but apparently Tesla doesn't think it would.
- RELATEDUber Is Facing Strikes All Over the WorldLong hours, low wages, and high commissions stir Uber drivers' ire.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolvo to Build its First Fully-Electric Car in ChinaWith sales goals increasing and two new manufacturing plans in the works, Volvo is expected to reveal more information about its full-electric platform adoption at the Shanghai Auto Show.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Model 3 Be Revealed in 'Final' Form in July, Elon Musk SaysTesla will have a "final" reveal of the Model 3 in July, just in time for the start of production.READ NOW
- RELATEDIs This Tesla Model S Really Worth $539,325?If you believe the stock market, the Tesla Model S is the most valuable mass production car on the road.READ NOW
- RELATEDEPA Confirms Tesla Model S 100D's 335-Mile RangeThat makes it the longest-range EV currently on the market.READ NOW