2017 Honda Civic Si To Be Revealed on YouTube
The debut will introduce both the sedan and coupe versions.
Honda will debut the 2017 Civic Si on YouTube on April 6, a week before the start of the New York International Auto Show. Unlike a traditional auto show reveal, the Civic Si launch allows a broader audience while weaving in special features on the car's specifics.
In the video, expect to find out all the exact figures on design and powertrain, data points that been the subject of drooling speculation by Honda enthusiasts since the model was teased before the Los Angeles Auto Show last year. This comes after a recent possible leak on CivicX.com that the next generation will produce 192 pound-feet of torque, an increase of 18 lb. ft. over the last model.
According to Honda, the video will release details such as horsepower, pricing, and when the car will go on sale. The rumor mill has steadily churned out dubious info over the last few months, but the automaker says they will confirm all of the official data on April 6th in addition to the reveal of the model. This will be the first public view of the production spec sedan.
Here's what we know for sure about the next Civic Si: It'll be powered by a tuned version of the 1.5-L turbocharged four cylinder in the Civic Touring—the first turbo engine ever for the model. It'll be paired to a six-speed manual transmission, keeping enthusiasts happy. Honda claims that the production version of the Civic Si coupe will be strikingly similar to the prototype, so expect it to look much like the car pictured here.
As for the interior, it will feature plenty of sporty accents to differentiate it from lower performance Civics. Splashes of aluminum can be found throughout the cabin including the shift knob and foot pedals. The prototype was also equipped with sport seats and special Si badging, both traits which we expect to carry over to the production model.
The video will also include footage of the car on track, displaying its capabilities around the circuit. Honda hopes that this will show off the model's performance pedigree while comparing its improvements to models of old.
Honda joins Volvo as some of the first automakers to unveil their new models via social media, a trend that we expect to carry on in the future. Tune in to Honda's YouTube channel on April 6th to view the official unveiling.
- RELATED2018 Honda Civic Si Underwhelms With Just 192 lb. ft. of TorqueThat leaves a huge gap between the Si and Type R.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Honda Civic Type R Slated to Grace U.S. Soil in Late SpringBrace yourself Ford, Honda is coming after your precious Focus RS.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Monster EG Honda Civic Hatch Battle a Holden Commodore and A20 Celica at BathurstThe Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12-Hour may be the main event, but the Improved Production Challenge support race had some of the best racing of the weekend.READ NOW
- RELATEDHonda Civic Type R's Exhaust Note Is Perfectly RaspyIt almost makes you wonder if it's hiding an extra few cylinders somewhere.READ NOW
- RELATEDMcLaren-Honda May Be Heading For a BreakupThe Sun reports that the Brits want out of the toxic relationship.READ NOW