GM, Duramax Celebrate 2 Million 6.6-Liter Diesel Engines
Duramax diesels can be found in the Chevy Silverado 2500HD, GMC Sierra 2500HD, and many other vehicles
The Duramax diesels found in the GMC Sierra 2500HD, GMC Sierra 3500HD, Chevy Silverado 2500HD, and Chevy Silverado 3500HD have proven to be reliable, powerful and beloved by many. The powerful 6.6-liter turbocharged V-8 cranks out 445 horsepower and 910 lb-ft of torque in its current iteration. The upgrades made to this most recent version of the engine have also resulted in 19 percent more torque in the prime parts of the power band for improved pulling and hauling.
We are mentioning all this because Duramax is celebrating the 2 millionth copy of this engine. After beginning production of the 6.6-liter V-8 on July 17th 2000, Duramax has made 2,000,000 of those puppies. They can be found in the heavy duty GM pickups, Navistar trucks, Gale Banks vehicles, and even in certain boats.
Over the years, Duramax has slightly tweaked the engine to keep up with the times and improve performance. In 2014, the company invested $60 million in emissions improvements and in 2015, Duramax invested $82 million in plant productivity. Whatever it's doing, it is clearly working...because sales continue to thrive.
- RELATEDGMC's Sierra 2500HD Denali is the Ultimate Luxury Snowplow RigCouple that with a Western MVP 3 V-Blade plow and you can become a snowstorm juggernaut.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel: 7 Things to KnowGMC's biggest truck gains a bigger engine for 2017—but it's the overall package that impresses.READ NOW
- RELATEDDuramax Chevy Pickup Has Three Turbos, All of the CrazyThis ‘69 hot rod diesel C10 is street-legal. Also: faster than a McLaren P1.READ NOW
- RELATEDHero of the Day: Duramax Diesel DevilThe Chevelle with heresy under the hood.READ NOW
- RELATEDNow You Can Have A Diesel Chevrolet Suburban Thanks to Duraburb Inc.The suburbans can reportedly tow up to 17,000 pounds after the conversion.READ NOW