Fire Destroys Canadian Man's Uninsured $3 Million Car Collection
“It is what is,” the collector said, after losing more than 40 classic cars and an equal number of collectable tractors.
A Canadian man lost much of his multi-million dollar car collection Thursday when the barn the vehicles were kept in caught fire, CTV News Calgary reports.
The central Alberta man lost farm equipment, trucks, and vintage cars—none of which were covered by any sort of insurance. The value of the vehicles lost tallied to more than $3 million in Canadian dollars, according to the collector.
“It is what is,” said Bert Curtiss to CTV News Calgary. “I guess I’ve lost 45 years of work.”
The 27,000-square foot barn that the cars were kept erupted into flames erupted Thursday afternoon. The cause of the fire has not yet been released. Officials said the fire may have started in a nearby garage, CTV News Calgary reports.
“Some of these cars I’ve had for 40 years. [I’ve spent] hundreds of thousands of hours working on them," Curtiss said to the news station.
According to Curtiss, there were more than 40 classic cars and 40 collectible tractors in the barn when the took occurred.
Curtiss will probably not return to car collecting following this incident, he told CTV News.
The original news video can be found here.
- RELATEDLittoral Combat Ship Fires Its First Vertical Launch Hellfire MissileAfter years of fumbling around trying to find a missile to partially replace the original system intended for the ship, the Hellfire has been adapted for vertical launch, and it did just that aboard the USS Detroit recently.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes Benz Recalls One Million Vehicles for Fire RisksIn case you were wondering, that's a lot.READ NOW
- RELATEDTop Uber Exec Fired for Not Disclosing a Sexual Harassment Allegation While at GoogleUber's SVP of engineering, Amit Singhal, denies wrongdoing in the Google situation, which was never resolved. Nonetheless, his time at Uber is over.READ NOW
- RELATEDFor the Gentleman Racer Crowd, There’s The Outlierman Luggage CollectionHandmade Italian travel gear to keep the Pebble Beach subset moving.READ NOW
- RELATEDInside The Classic Car Trove Of A Brooklyn CollectorLenny Shiller owns nearly 70 old cars, all of them original and low-mileage.READ NOW