Watch a Tesla Model S Beat A 600 HP Chevelle on the Drag Strip
Who wins in the battle of naturally aspirated V-8 versus batteries? It's surprisingly close.
There is no denying the Tesla Model S is a ridiculously quick sedan, but the car nerd in all of us secretly hopes for an old muscle car to show up an electric vehicle. And at Renegade Raceway in Yakima, Washington this past week ... well, we didn't quite get the result we were hoping for—but it was damn close.
As you can see in the video below, a Tesla Model S (battery unknown) goes up against a beautiful 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle allegedly pushing 600 horsepower. At first, the bruising Chevelle gets the jump on the Tesla, but after 100 yards, the Model S begins to fill in the gap, eventually passing the Chevelle.
The Tesla Model S just barely beats the Chevelle with a time of 11.36 (at 118 mph) versus the Chevelle’s time of 11.44 (at 113 mph). Neither time is anything to laugh, at but we're still disappointed the orange hunk of Detroit muscle didn't walk away with the win.
- RELATEDDodge Challenger Demon Will Have a Suspension Made for the Drag StripThe new Mopar muscle car comes with a Drag Mode designed to help the Demon lay down better quarter-mile times.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Drag Racing Driver Make an Amazing Last-Second SaveJust when you think all hope is lost, Tom Bailey makes an amazing save.READ NOW
- RELATEDElectric GT's Tesla Model S P100DL Race Car Packs 778 HPThe Model S P100DL will also have carbon fiber body panels, a wider wheelbase, and new aerodynamics that pile on the downforce.READ NOW
- RELATED1973 Chevrolet Chevelle: Bank Robber’s SpecialWe head to the mean streets of Trenton, NJ to meet up with Sean Rich and his road warrior style 1973 Chevrolet Chevelle.READ NOW
- RELATEDWe Talked To The Tesla Model S Driver Rear-Ended By A 40-Ton SemiThe man driving this Tesla Model S tells The Drive what it feels like to go from from 0 to 40 in 0.1 seconds. Spoiler alert: It makes Ludicrous Mode feel slow.READ NOW