Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Challenger, Other FCA Cars Moving to Alfa Romeo Giorgio Platform
FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne says the Giorgio platform will be found underneath everything from the Jeep Grand Cherokee to Dodge Challenger, Charger, and Durango, the Chrysler 300, and the Maserati Quattroporte, Ghibli, and GranTurismo.
Alfa Romeo has proven to be quite the financial burden for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. CEO Sergio Marchionne has already invested $2.7 billion in relaunching the Alfa Romeo brand, with another $2.68 billion in the pipeline. In order to combat this giant expense, FCA will be using Alfa Romeo’s Giorgio platform, currently used for the Giulia, for the vast majority of upcoming FCA models.
Alfa Romeo's Giorgio platform will help offset costs of relaunching the brand
Since FCA lost money relaunching Alfa Romeo last year and Marchionne expects FCA to lose money again this year, it isn’t surprising to hear FCA is trying to milk everything possible out of the brand. The Giorgio platform will prove beneficial to the company as it will be utilized by Maserati, Dodge, Jeep and even Chrysler.
Designed with the intention of using it for numerous models throughout the FCA lineup, FCA intends to use the Giorgio platform for the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Challenger, Charger, Durango, Maserati Quattroporte, Ghibli, GranTurismo, Alfieri and Chrysler 300C. Needless to say, FCA will be getting its money’s worth out of the car.
Although the Giorgio platform will be used by the models stated above, modifications will be performed on the platform for the different brands, especially for Maserati use.
In addition, Alfa Romeo is projected to release its Stelvio SUV in the second quarter of this year. FCA hopes to have five Alfa Romeo models with annual sales of 400,000 by 2020.
- RELATEDAlfa Romeo Releases New Stelvio First EditionThe SUV stunner hits American shores.READ NOW
- RELATEDAlfa Romeo Giulia Pricing Revealed and Images of the Mercedes-AMG E50 Coupe Are Out: The Evening RushPlus, an electric skateboard to make your commute fun.READ NOW
- RELATEDWill FCA Sell Maserati and Alfa Romeo to Cut Costs and Save Money?A lot of history would go with this move if it's made.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Time Lapse of an Enormous Alfa Romeo Stelvio PaintingLeave it to the Italians to handpaint a billboard.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 505-HP Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Costs $72,000; Lesser Models Start at $37,995The high-powered model is available starting this month.READ NOW