Watch This Giant Drone Crash Right Behind an Unsuspecting Skier
The drone fell so violently, you would think it was shot out of the sky.
You don’t need to know French to understand this incredible footage of a large drone smashing to the ground just inches behind skier Marcel Hirscher during the FIS Ski World Cup 2016.
In an age where drones float above almost every major sporting event, the chances of something going wrong with one of them is kind of high. Whether they experience power failure or user error, worrying about one plummeting into competitors' way is not the most outlandish concern.
In this particular video, a drone hits the packed snow at such a high velocity that it actually shatters, bouncing upon impact. Had it hit Hirscher, it likely would have caused some rather painful injuries.
We understand there are inherent risks in using aerial cameras, but couldn't this have been avoided by filming at an angle and not directly above the skier? Think about news helicopters; they rarely film from directly above an event.
- RELATEDOnboard Drone Video Shows What it's Like to be Hunted by a CatIn a drone-versus-cat battle, who wins? (Hint: The cat wins—every time.)READ NOW
- RELATEDMan Arrested For Flying Drone Near Police HelicopterA rare example of law enforcement detaining someone for piloting a drone.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Custom Lamborghini Gallardo Tow Skiers Through the SnowWho needs a Ski-Doo when you have a Lambo on studded tires?READ NOW
- RELATEDFreestyle Flambée: Pro Skier Jon Olsson’s former Über-Audi Stolen, TorchedPour some aquavit out for the DTM-loving skier’s wagon.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: This Is a Man Skiing Down A VolcanoREAD NOW