McLaren Releases Unseen Footage of F1 World Record Run
Want to watch the Mclaren F1 hit 240.14 mph? Yeah, you do.
The McLaren F1 is definitely one of the best supercars ever built, and possibly the greatest car ever, full stop. An absolute rocket with the looks to match, the F1 is the car many manufacturers aspire to build, and nearly every gearhead aspires to own.
In a recently-released video from McLaren, we get to watch never-before-seen footage of Andy Wallace’s famous world record run. Dashing down the Ehra-Lessien Proving Ground in Germany, Wallace pushes the 637-hp, 6.1-liter V-12 to its limit. After several attempts, Wallace was able to hit 391 Km/h (240.14 mph), making the F1 the fastest production car in 1998. The F1 then held that record for over a decade, and still remains the world's fastest naturally-aspirated production car.
The footage from the March 31st, 1998 world record run and the laughter between sets is contagious. Although this car is an engineering marvel, you can’t forget that the heart of the build is a bunch of grown-up kids that just want to go fast.
The McLaren F1 was produced from 1992 to 1998, and only 64 road-ready versions were built. When new, the McLaren F1 sold for $815,000; recently an example sold for $11.7 million.
But enough of me blabbing on, watch (and listen to) this incredible video, below:
- RELATEDMcLaren's New P14 Supercar Has a Very Technical-Looking TailActive aerodynamics and a sleek design combine to create a technological tour de force.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 McLaren 570GT Is the Gentleman's SupercarThe performance of an Olympian, with the luggage-carrying ability of a bellboy.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrifting a McLaren 570S on Ice Looks Like Winter BlissWell, now we know what we want for Christmas this year.READ NOW
- RELATEDMcLaren Builds Its 10,000th Car and BMW X7 Spy Shots Emerge: The Evening RushPlus, some great last-minute holiday gift ideas.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Electric Corvette Set a New World Record at 206 MPHThe Genovation GXE remains the fastest street-legal electric car in the land.READ NOW