Dash Cam Video Captures Commuter Train Ramming FedEx Truck
Somehow, no one was seriously injured.
A FedEx semi-truck pulling two trailers in Utah was pummeled Saturday when it was rammed head-on by a commuter train filled with passengers. Impressively, not one person was seriously injured.
The incident occurred in North Salt Lake during a snowstorm Saturday morning, local news station Fox 13 reports. In the crash, a Utah Transit Authority FrontRunner commuter train with 82 passengers on board slammed directly into the middle of the first trailer the semi was pulling.
A preliminary investigation by the UTA shows that the crossing arms—the things that are supposed to warn and prevent vehicles from crossing the tracks when a train is nearby— were not operating properly at the time of the crash, Fox 13 reports.
"In the event of a power outage or lack of signal, crossing gates are programmed to default to the “down and active” position as a safety precaution," UTA said in a statement, according to Fox 13. "Preliminary information indicates the gates were affected by the severe ice and snow conditions at the time and were in the default “down and active” position, as they are programmed. After an employee responded to the location, the gates moved to the up position. The agency has never had an accident like this before, and UTA is investigating why and how it happened to ensure it doesn’t occur again."
FedEx also stepped in to do its part following the incident.
“We are aware of the incident in Salt Lake City and are grateful that no one was seriously injured. We worked with authorities during their investigation to quickly clean up the scene and minimize the impact on customers," FedEx wrote in a statement on Tuesday, according to FOX 13.
Watch the dashcam video of the incident below.
- RELATEDBrightline Brings High-Speed Trains To FloridaThe 125-mph Brightline trains will be the first privately run passenger service to debut in over 100 years.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes-Benz Outsells BMW in 2016 and Wranglers May Get A Hybrid Powertrain: The Evening RushPlus, Duke Cannon soaps to keep you from stinking everything up.READ NOW
- RELATEDEngine Falls Off B-52 During A Training Sortie Over North DakotaThe iconic bomber is literally begging for new engines.READ NOW
- RELATEDTrain Derailment Kills 120 Innocent BMW X-ModelsThe world has slightly fewer German luxury SUV's now.READ NOW
- RELATED120 BMW SUVs Damaged in South Carolina Train CrashThe train was carrying a load of new Bimmers away from the carmaker’s Spartanburg plant.READ NOW