Toyota Pays Up over Rusty Trucks and Mercedes-Maybach Teases S650 Cabriolet: The Evening Rush
Plus, a finger-sized screwdriver for repairs on the go.
The Evening Rush is your daily roundup of auto, gear, and lifestyle news, all in one place. Less time searching, more time driving. Motor on.
Toyota is gearing up to pay a whopping $3.4 billion in a class-action lawsuit for rusty truck frames. According to reports, Tacomas, Tundras and Sequoias are experiencing excessive rust, and Toyota will replace certain frames if they fall under the model years in question.
The Drive reported last week that Audi had transmissions that provided misleading CO2 readings due to a change in transmission configuration. VW has now confirmed that some models do, in fact, have such a transmission, but it is now unclear whether or not it classifies as a deceptive device or a tool to improve mileage.
For years Mercedes-Maybach has done a fantastic job of making massive four-door sedans. However, change is good and two-doors are sexy. With that bulletproof train of thought, Mercedes-Maybach will be debuting their S650 Cabriolet at the L.A. Auto Show. This will be the first time Mercedes-Maybach will produce a two-door model, and as you can see in their teaser video on Facebook, Mercedes-Maybach is very excited for the new car. Although we can’t confirm the power output, you can expect to see the 6.0-liter V-12 found in numerous AMG models under the hood.
If you could have a screwdriver the size of a key on you at all times, why wouldn’t you? That is a rhetorical question, as the answer is obviously, you would. Fortunately, a company called Key-Bit has invented just that. Utilizing stainless steel casing and an easy-grip design, users can quickly make adjustments to their bikes, ski boots and other gear without carrying around a toolbox all the time.
What better way to show your patriotism than cutting a nice piece of steak with an American flag cutting board from Brooklyn Butcher Blocks. Made from a variety of different woods, this cutting board is the perfect gift for the holidays.
I am going to get to the point on this one. Costa is having a 60 percent off sale on Steep & Cheap and you need to take advantage of it. Perfect for fishing or skiing (think snow-blindness), Costa sunglasses will quickly become your best friend.
If you are anywhere on the West Coast this week, we highly recommend you stop by the L.A. Auto Show starting on the 18th. Jam-packed with debuts and new models, the Auto Show is always a great way to get caught up in the automotive world. As you might guess, there are plenty of high-profile debuts happening this year...the Mercedes-Maybach S650 Cabriolet being my favorite.
- RELATEDHow To Pass Safety InspectionAnd why you should check these things anyway.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Model S Declared the Most-Loved Car in America—AgainTesla developed a winning formula with its electric sedan. But can other manufactures copy it...and can Tesla repeat it?READ NOW
- RELATEDSamsung Acquires Automotive Supplier Harman in $8 Billion DealGet ready for your car to talk with your phone, your dishwasher, your TV...READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Is Our Best Look Yet at the Mid-Engined Porsche 911 RSRThe race car will be officially unveiled this week at the Los Angeles Auto Show.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 14, 2016: The 2018 Audi A5 Will Offer a Manual TransmissionWe're safe for another year.READ NOW