Volkswagen’s Two-Door GTI Will No Longer Be Sold in America
The death knell sounds as VW axes the shorter version of the hot hatch.
Future car buyers considering the Volkswagen GTI will be without a two-door option. Going forward with the 2017 model year, VW will only be offering the hot hatchback as a four-door in the United States.
VW told Jalopnik that its American dealerships and buyers have told the automaker that, for the most part, everyone wants four-doors. To give the people what they allegedly want, VW will only be offering the four-door in America. Megan Garbis, a Product Manager for the VW Golf, told Jalopnik:
“Our buyers and our dealers say that they want a four-door. We’ve reduced the complexity, which allows the customer to configure the GTI he or she wants online and go to the dealership and pick it up today.Obviously, the Golf R has been a popular car in four-door trim, so we don’t feel that it will be a deterrent. Our GTI customers have families, and they want to be able to take them with them wherever they go.”
If you try to spec out a 2017 model year GTI on VW's American website, you will find that the two-door option is already missing. From the sound of things, it appears that most of the people buying GTIs nowadays are just somewhat rational people who desire a reasonable amount of room in their daily driver. While there's nothing wrong with that, still, the two-door GTI will be missed.
The Drive has contacted VW for comment and will update if we hear back.
UPDATE: 11:00pm, September 13th, 2016: VW has responded to The Drive's request for comment with the following:
-Production ends within the next couple of weeks on the 2-door S trim GTI – which was the only 2-door GTI trim planned for MY17
-Therefore there will be a handful of 2-door MY17 GTI units “in the wild,” but the trim is no longer orderable and will end production this month
-This change comes about as a direct result of dealer feedback on reducing complexity, and buying trends that indicate the 4-door version of GTI is more popular, and that the 4-door-only Golf R situation doesn’t deter people from buying these cars
-There is no 2-door Golf TSI for MY17, for the same reasons as GTI
- RELATEDChasing a Volkswagen GTI in the New Chevrolet VoltWe bring a hot hatch bogey along to test GM’s redesigned plug-in hybrid.READ NOW
- RELATEDCan the Volkswagen Jetta GLI Butt Its Way Past the GTI?Entry-level VW is more than a hot hatch with a trunk.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe New Volkswagen GTI TCR Racecar Is Already Sold OutThe racing hot hatch of your dreams is already out of reach. But VW has a consolation prize.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Springtime Commuter Luggage UpgradeBecause your college backpack is no longer cutting it.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Volkswagen GTI R Clubsport S Just Set a Nürburgring RecordVolkswagen's 305-horsepower front-driver has unseated the Civic Type R.READ NOW