Watch a School Bus Catch Fire Moments After 20 Kids Safely Exit
Thankfully, no one was harmed.
Thanks to quick actions taken by one heroic bus driver, 20 kids were saved on Monday when their school bus caught fire in Maryland.
Twenty students from Glen Arden Woods Elementary School were onboard their school bus Monday afternoon in College Park, Maryland when their ride home erupted in flames. One witness to the blaze shared on Facebook that the driver, Reneita Smith, pulled each student from the burning bus one at a time before braving the flames a final time to confirm no child had been overlooked. "I am a mom of two kids. It's my job to save them," Smith reportedly said.
In a dashcam video from a police car uploaded to YouTube by the public affairs officer for the county, it's apparent how severe the fire quickly became. By the time first responders arrived on the scene, the bus was completely engulfed in flames, smoke billowing everywhere. The officer notes that no one was injured and "the fire originated near one of the rear wheels and extended throughout the bus." The official cause is still undetermined. Watch the horrifying video below.
- RELATEDCIA Forgets Plastic Explosives in a Working School BusStudents rode the bus with the explosives under the hood. For two days.READ NOW
- RELATEDFive Things I Learned at Skip Barber's Advanced Racing SchoolIt's never too late to go racing.READ NOW
- RELATEDIs Your Kid’s School Bus a Deathtrap?No seatbelts, no airbags. Just seats.READ NOW
- RELATEDMy High School Teacher Predicted the Future of Cars35 years later, turns out that Mr. Ziriax was right—about most of it, anyway.READ NOW
- RELATEDPlease, Let Andre Agassi and a Vector W8 School You in ExcessThe Eighties? You can’t handle the Eighties!READ NOW