Watch the 2018 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Rumble Down the Road
And listen, too. You definitely want to listen to this one.
Turn the volume up to 11 for this one, folks. Spy shooters have captured video of what seems to be the new Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 roaming the streets of Dearborn, and while it may be covered in loose-fitting camouflage, there's no disguising the ballsy burble of its all-American V-8.
Granted, Ford hasn't officially confirmed that the next Shelby GT500 will have a V-8—or even that there will be a new GT500 at all—but considering Mustang fans would likely set fire to Mark Fields's house if the Blue Oval built a top-shelf with anything other than an eight-cylinder engine, it seems about as sure a bet as one can make in this world that the next powerhouse 'Stang will have eight pistons beneath its massive hood.
What sort of V-8 the next Shelby GT500 is packing, however, remains a mystery. The folks at Autoweekhave suggested the badass 'Stang will stick with a supercharged eight-pot, much like the previous, 200-mile-per-hour-courting GT500. That doesn't jive particularly well with Ford's current turbo-all-the-things mentality, however. Car and Driver has stated FoMoCo might strap a pair of turbochargers to the GT350's 5.2-liter Voodoo V-8, but a twin-snail version of the 5.0-liter V-8 like the one Ford debuted in the 2012 Mustang Cobra Jet Concept is just as likely.
(That said, we don't hear any turbo whine in the video below, but that could be all those Dropkick Murphys concerts we went to back in college.)
Either way, we fully expect the 2018 Shelby GT500 to vault the Mustang into first place in Detroit's horsepower wars. The big question, then, is just how far above the Hellcat's 707-horsepower output Ford dares to go. 720 horses? 740? 800? All we can do is wait and see.
Wait, and listen. Lots and lots of listening.
- RELATEDAn 800-Horsepower Shelby GT500 Mustang Might Be in the CardsA pony car made to send Hellcats mewling back to momma.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord is Working on a GT500 and Another Alleged Tesla Autopilot Crash Has Emerged: The Evening RushPlus, a rocking growler from Hydroflask and 50% off camping tents.READ NOW
- RELATEDRevology's Shelby GT500 Replica Is an Old-School Ford Mustang with New-School PowerLooks like Eleanor, goes like a new Mustang GT with 500 fewer pounds to haul around.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Shelby GT350 Offers The Sexiest Mustang Colors YetThree new colors and a simplified options list make the super-Mustang even sweeter.READ NOW
- RELATEDCamaro Beats Mustang: Here’s WhyThe Drive’s chief auto critic explains his controversial stance in the muscle-car wars.READ NOW