A Saudi Prince Bought the First Bugatti Chiron and the Vision Gran Turismo
In case you need another reason to be jealous of royalty.
Heavy is the wallet that wears the crown. A Saudi prince has reportedly bought both the first Bugatti Chiron and the Bugatti Vision Gran Turismo Concept that heralded it.
Prince Badr bin Saud of Saudi Arabia of Saudi Arabia, one of roughly a thousand grandsons of the nation's founder, has become the proud owner of both W16-powered show cars. Neither the GT6-spawned Vision Gran Turismo nor the Chiron show car, which sat center-stage at this year's Geneva Motor Show, are fully-vetted production vehicles, so neither one is likely street-legal—but that's a mere technicality if you're a member of the Middle Eastern monarchy.
It's not known how much Saud paid for the cars; Bugatti merely confirmed to Carscoops that the prince submitted "the most convincing bid" for the duo, suggesting that there may have been quite the parade of 0.001 percenters clamoring to scoop up the two supercars. We don't know who else may have been in the running, but if you want to winnow it down, we suggest looking for the well-dressed men and women shooting the Vision Gran Turismo and the Chiron show car the stink-eye when the two cars go on display at Pebble Beach later this month.
And much like a gleeful 16-year-old who just picked up a four-owner Subaru Impreza, the prince chose to reveal his double supercar purchase on his Instagram account. Unlike said teenager, however, he did so with a couple of pictures shot by well-known automotive photographer GFWilliams.
And since we at The Drive will never pass up a reason to show off a nice picture of a couple Bugattis, we've also included GFWilliams's post announcing that "B14"—a.k.a. Prince Badr bin Saud—was the one to pick up the two cars.
Now if you'll excuse us, we're going to go dig around in our backyard in hopes of striking oil.
- RELATEDSaudi Prince's Gold Chrome Supercar Collection Is BonkersYou shouldn't let your cheetah drive your Mercedes G63 6x6, sir.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Evening Rush for Feb. 24, 2016Your nightly cull of automotive, gear and lifestyle news, all in one place.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 10 Most Influential Car People in SportsThe Drive 50: Auto's players, owners and tastemakers in the world of sports.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Bugatti Chiron Might Break Your BrainHorsepower and top speed figures for the Veyron's successor finally drop.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Bugatti Chiron Hypercar Confirmed, Spotted in ItalyHope for Volkswagen, and our best look yet at the Veyron’s successor yet.READ NOW