Bugatti Will Not Make a Chiron Roadster
Higher-powered models, however, are still on the table.
Unlike its older sister, the Veyron, the Bugatti Chiron will not be available as a roadster. That sound you hear? That's several hundred extremely wealthy toupee wearers quietly sighing in relief.
Doctor Stefan Brungs, Bugatti's head of marketing, confirmed to Autocar that customers will not be able to order the Chiron as a "roadster or convertible." When the Veyron still existed, it was available as an open-top, in both Grand Sport and Grand Sport Vitesse forms.
But that's not to say there won't be variants of the big Bugatti. When questioned about other, faster versions of the Chiron, Brungs responded, "We're looking at different options for the car." For now, he said, the automaker is directing its attention to pumping out the first 500 "normal" Chirons for its very wealthy customers.
The Bugatti Chiron is a $2.6 million supercar fitted with almost 1,500 horsepower from a quad-turbocharged, 16-cylinder engine. It's capable of a limited top speed of 261 mph (though it will probably go faster than that someday) and can do zero to 60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds. It's the modern car to have if you want to drive extraordinarily fast...but apparently, not the one to buy if you want to stare wistfully at the clear blue sky while doing so. (Not that you should be making a habit of that.)
While the Chiron hasn't reached dealerships yet, Bugatti has made sure the car remains prominently in the public eye. In recent months, the world has seen the Chiron climb the hill at this year's Goodwood Festival of Speed, and at its glamorous Geneva Motor Show debut. Topless or not, the big Bugatti is one heck of a car, with few true competitors...except for whatever the mental Swedes over at Koenigsegg crank out, of course.
- RELATEDSay Hello to Bugatti's $2.6 Million ChironBugatti lifts the curtain, Geneva genuflects.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Bugatti Chiron Hypercar Confirmed, Spotted in ItalyHope for Volkswagen, and our best look yet at the Veyron’s successor yet.READ NOW
- RELATEDOfficial: Bugatti Chiron Coming to Reclaim the Kingdom of CrazyWill 1,500 horsepower be enough to win the supercar wars?READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Bugatti Chiron Might Break Your BrainHorsepower and top speed figures for the Veyron's successor finally drop.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Bugatti Chiron Sounds Heavenly and the Gumball 3000 Loses A Car: The Evening RushPlus, Truu earbuds and a Ball & Buck angler shirt.READ NOW