This New 600-Horsepower BMW M5 Is for America Only
And just 50 cars are coming to our Yankee shores.
Often overshadowed by its little brother, the M3, BMW's once-kingly M5 has receded from public view, or at least fanboy consciousness. As this model comes to the end of its run, BMW is trying to rectify that the only way it knows how: more power, shinier paint. All hail the 2016 BMW M5 Pure Metal Silver Limited Edition.
This "limited edition" isn't, really, so "limited." For the $130,900 plus destination charges BMW is asking, this M5 packs 600 horsepower (40 more than what the standard F10 M5s come with), the M dual-clutch transmission, 20-inch forged wheels, M carbon ceramic brakes, a slightly lower and firmer suspension, a top speed of 190 MPH instead of the limited 155 MPH, and—of course—a slippery coat of BMW's special "Pure Metal Silver" color. The zero to 60 time also drops from 4.2 seconds to 3.9 seconds.
To make sure you have the skill to handle such power and speed, BMW is including one day high of performance driving school. Those programs play a key role in preventing incidents like this.
But, wait. Do these specs sound familiar? Two years ago, BMW released an almost identical F10 M5 special edition. Plus, just yesterday, the Bavarian automaker introduced a very similar yet less-grey limited edition M5 for European markets only.
For those who want one of the Pure Metal Silver M5s, orders open up in August. BMW is keeping the run of this special edition to just 50 cars, so stay real friendly with your local dealer in the intervening weeks. Waiting it out for the next M5 probably also wouldn't be a bad idea.
- RELATEDAlpina B7 vs. BMW M760i xDriveThe battle of the big Bavarian brothers.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW and Mercedes-Benz Deny Diesel MisdeedsFor now, Volkswagen is the only bad guy in the emissions drama.READ NOW
- RELATEDBad News for BMW M5 Buyers Who Want a ManualYou can probably figure out what it is.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Spy Shots Reveal A New BMW M5READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Alpina Upgrades the BMW M5READ NOW