The Range Rover Sport Coupe Prototype Is Making This Guy So Happy
The new sport-utility-coupe-thing has at least one fan already.
Land Rover's bid to enter the ridiculous-yet-ridiculously profitable SUV segment popularized by the BMW X6 with the upcoming vehicle informally known as the Range Rover Sport Coupe may seem impulsive or foolhardy to brand loyalists. But Range Rover's new sport-utility...four-door...coupe...whatever you call it already seems to have made at least one guy happy. Just look at the grin on the face of the man behind the wheel in these spy shots. That is the smile of a man enjoying his day.
Perhaps he's grinning like a loon because he just pitched the coupe-ute down a fast, winding road. If rumors the Range Rover Sport Coupe shares much of its underpinnings with the Jaguar F-Pace are true, the new Rangie should be a hoot to haul ass in. Even if it's just a sleeker, sportier version of the Range Rover Sport, however, it'll should be fast and fun enough to crack a grin like that across its driver's face.
Maybe he's just excited because he's one of the few people who knows what the Range Rover Sport Coupe looks like without the bustle butt Land Rover tacked on the SUV's tail to cover it up. A little mental X-ray vision seems to reveal a sharply-angled D-pillar reminiscent of the Evoque hiding beneath that awkward cladding, but it's hard for those of us on this end of the spy photos to be sure.
Or perchance he's smiling because he's privy to some of the other unknown details about this sports-activity crossover. Will it offer diesel, hybrid, or electric powertrains? Will it offer an even-more-ludicrous convertible version? Will Holland & Holland transform it into a rolling gun rack for a quarter-million dollars? He may well know. The rest of us will have to wait and see.
Whatever the reason for his shit-eating grin, this random Range Rover test driver has us rather excited to try out Range Rover's entry into what we at The Drive shall henceforth refer to as the "Widebody On-Road Sport Truck" category.
- RELATEDBlue-Blooded Perfection: The 2016 Holland & Holland Range RoverA rolling, bourgeois, quarter-million gun case. In a good way.READ NOW
- RELATEDCritic’s Notebook: 2016 Range Rover DieselBritish 4x4 legend meets snowblind Gotham.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Meet the New Range Rover Convertible EvoqueREAD NOW
- RELATEDIn Defense of the New Range Rover Evoque ConvertibleSome trucks just wanna have fun—even if just for one season.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2016 Range Rover Td6 Is the Best Diesel Not Currently Under EPA RecallNeighbors will never suspect you’re pinching pennies.READ NOW