Blindfolded Teen Driver Crashes Pickup Truck While Doing the 'Bird Box Challenge'
In case your Facebook feed didn't have enough about this movie already.
Like most of your Facebook friends, police in Utah are sick and tired of hearing about Bird Box. Even then, on Monday afternoon, a teen made sure they were reminded of Sandra Bullock when she took to the road to perform the "Bird Box Challenge" and crashed her pickup.
In case the name wasn't enough to imply what happened in this crash, the teen reportedly took her truck onto busy Layton Parkway and pulled her beanie over her eyes to mimic a scene in the Netflix Original movie. In the film, a Jeep Grand Cherokee has its windows painted over and is driven using only the vehicle's proximity sensors.
After the pickup collided with the Honda HR-V, the 17-year-old driver told police that she became distracted while having a conversation with her 16-year-old passenger. Police performed several follow-up interviews, including one with the 56-year-old Honda driver, and eventually determined the teen's story to be false.
"Apparently, as a part of this Bird Box Challenge, [the driver] used her beanie to pull over her eyes as she was driving on Layton Parkway," Layton Police Lieutenant Travis Lyman told local news. "She ended up losing control of her car and skidded into the westbound lanes of Layton Parkway and hit another car and ended up hitting a light pole as well."
Fortunately, all parties in the accident came out unscathed, but police don't think the teen should be let off the hook so easily. In fact, Lt. Lyman mentions that police have asked the district attorney to pursue a reckless driving charge against the teen in hopes that it will send the same message that Netflix ushered earlier this month.
Perhaps the outcome would have been different if the teen were behind the wheel of a Tesla (don't get any ideas).
- RELATEDNetflix Greenlights Two New Car Shows, Renews 'Fastest Car'This marks the company's fifth announcement on vehicle-based shows this year.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Fast & Furious Animated Netflix Series Will Soon Be a ThingPutting the car in cartoon.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Sued for Potentially Defective Model S Battery After Crash Killed Two TeensThe law firm represents the family of a teen who was riding shotgun while the driver weaved through traffic at 116 mph.READ NOW
- RELATEDHeartbroken Man Crashes Toyota Yaris Into Porsche Dealer, Vandalizes Cars With Woman's NameOnce inside, the man roasted the Yaris' tires until the showroom was filled with burnout smoke.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Drunk Driver Crash and Fly Into the Sky While Attempting to Escape PoliceDespite the spectacular and failed getaway, the driver only lost his license for 15 days.READ NOW