Cosworth Confirms Aston Martin Valkyrie Will Have World's Most Powerful Naturally-Aspirated Engine
Over 1,100 horsepower from a screaming V-12—sign us up.
The $3.3 million Aston Martin Valkyrie is one of the most ambitious hypercar projects in recent memory, a moonshot of a machine that's intended to herald in the next chapter for the storied British marquee. It's basically a street-legal Le Mans prototype, and after teasing us with a mysteriously deleted tweet, engine supplier Cosworth has finally confirmed the Valkyrie will have a powertrain to match: a naturally-aspirated V-12 in the neighborhood of 1,100 horsepower, making it the most powerful such engine ever used in a road car.
Speaking to Top Gear, Cosworth CEO Hal Reisiger said that the Valkyrie's 6.5-liter V-12 is being developed to put out “two to three hundred more horsepower” over any other V-12 setup on the market. The 6.5-liter V-12 in the Ferrari LaFerrari produces a maximum of around 950 hp when the car's hybrid KERS system kicks in—on a conservative end, Reisiger is hinting at a design that will deliver at least 1,100 hp.
We don't know if he's talking straight engine power or a hybrid total, but either way it's an eye-popping number. No word on that weirdly-deleted tweet either, but hopefully it didn't cost anyone their job.
"[We're] not only responsible for designing the engine but manufacturing, assembling and testing it," Reisiger told Top Gear. "I’m happy to say we are on schedule for that too."
Ideally the rest of the car is too, because Aston Martin is promising some deeply wild stuff here. The car's advanced aerodynamics feature giant undercarriage tunnels (called venturis) that look big enough to hold a body, its infotainment-free interior comes with custom-molded racing seats and a removable steering wheel—and oh yeah, it's already sold out.
- RELATEDAston Martin Valkyrie AMR Pro Generates More Than Its Own Weight in DownforceThe track-only AMR Pro debuted at the Geneva Motor Show with a hybrid V-12 and ridiculous handling capabilities.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Aston Martin Valkyrie Will Have Moon Dust Embedded in Its PaintWhether you like the car or not, you have to admit that the paint scheme is out of this world.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Is the Aston Martin Valkyrie AMR ProThe Valkyrie isn't even out yet, and Aston Martin is already making a faster version.READ NOW
- RELATEDAston Martin Will Ban Valkyrie Reservation Scalpers From Future Special CarsAston Martin, like Porsche, does not care for owners who want to flip their cars for profit.READ NOW
- RELATEDAston Martin Will 3-D Scan Valkyrie Buyers' Bodies for the Driver's SeatsAston Martin's upcoming hypercar brings new meaning to the word "bespoke."READ NOW