Man Driving Under the Influence of Heroin Hits and Kills Woman Riding Scooter
The driver has since been taken to the Cuyahoga County Jail and booked for aggravated vehicular homicide.
The incident occurred around 10 p.m. on August 18 on East 9th Street near St. Clair Avenue, per Cleveland Police spokeswoman Sgt. Jennifer Ciaccia.
The woman on the scooter was hit from behind by a 19-year-old man driving south on East 9th Street in a Chevrolet Cruze. The car that hit her was traveling “well in excess” of the 25 mile-per-hour speed limit, Ciaccia said. The woman resultantly flew off the scooter and onto the road, suffering major physical injuries.
According to News 5 Cleveland, the crash victim has been identified as Jenasia Summers by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office.
Summers was riding in a group of eight women who had rented scooters for a scavenger hunt. The group was celebrating a birthday party, Summers’ family said.
The man driving the car that struck the scooter, identified as Scott McHugh, is facing an aggravated vehicular homicide charge.
McHugh did not sustain any injuries after the incident, but emergency medical services found him unresponsive in his vehicle.
At the scene, McHugh allegedly told officers that prior to the incident, he had snorted heroin with a friend in the parking lot of a grocery store. He also reportedly claimed he did not remember anything that occurred between taking the drug and ending up in an ambulance.
McHugh purportedly explained that he was in rehab and had been sober for 50 days, according to News 5 Cleveland.
He was later taken to the Cuyahoga County Jail and booked for aggravated vehicular homicide.
- RELATEDIsle of Man TT Motorcycle Rider William Dunlop Killed in Racing CrashWilliam Dunlop's death marks the third on-track casualty for the Irish Dunlop family.READ NOW
- RELATEDU.S. Helicopter Crash Kills One In Iraq After Reported Special Operations RaidThis is the second fatal aviation accident American forces have suffered in Iraq in 2018 and is part of a concerning trend across the U.S. military.READ NOW
- RELATED[UPDATE] Robert Wickens Being Treated for Orthopedic Injuries After Major Pocono CrashReports indicate that the star IndyCar rookie broke both ankles and an arm, suffered a pulmonary contusion and a possible vertebrae fracture.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Alleged Heroin User Crash Into Louisiana State TrooperLuckily, the trooper was driving a Chevy Tahoe.READ NOW
- RELATEDFuel Truck Driver Allegedly Overdoses On Heroin While Sitting In Gas Station LotThis feels like reckless endangerment to a TREAD NOW