Tesla Is Nowhere Near Its Production Goal for June
Elon Musk is growing frustrated with complications that are slowing down production.
Elon Musk, founder and CEO of Tesla, challenged his company to produce 5,000 Model 3s per week by the end of June, however, due to bottlenecks in the manufacturing process, the California company has been unable to do so.
The business magnate has used the term “production hell” to describe the trials in working toward the ambitious objective.
In order to speed up manufacturing and reach the 5,000-car goal, Musk has ordered a new assembly line built outside of Tesla’s Fremont, California plant. It is known as the GA4 (General Assembly 4) line and fewer than 100 vehicles have made it through since production began earlier this month, per Business Insider. As a result, it is unlikely that GA4 will provide the output Tesla needs in order to reach its pre-determined target by the end of the month.
Along the way to truly mass-producing the Model 3, Tesla has faced a slew of unexpected issues. In February, manufacturing of the affordable all-electric sedan was halted for five days. By April, Musk & Co. ordered that Model 3 production run 24/7. Quality concerns have been raised and concurrently addressed while also dealing with dramatic internal affairs, all of which have arguably affected the company's focus on getting units through the door and on the streets.
- RELATEDFormer Tesla Battery Factory Employee Allegedly Threatened to 'Shoot the Place Up'The former factory worker is being sued for sabotage and stealing trade secrets, and he reportedly set up software to frame his co-workers after he left the company.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Model 3 Guns for World Record by Driving 600 miles on a Single ChargeHypermiling is surprisingly effective with the Model 3.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Model 3 Production Will Run 24/7, Musk SaysCEO Elon Musk says he wants Tesla to build 6,000 cars per week by June.READ NOW
- RELATEDLexus Could Bring the CT Back as a Tesla Model 3 Rival, Report SaysDue in 2020, a traditional hybrid model would also be available.READ NOW
- RELATEDElon Musk Praises Employees as First Performance Model 3 Rolls off Production LineMusk's team built the new Model 3 assembly line in just three weeks.READ NOW