Lexus Could Bring the CT Back as a Tesla Model 3 Rival, Report Says
Due in 2020, a traditional hybrid model would also be available.
Introduced as the CT 200h back in 2011, the outgoing car was available only as a hybrid—essentially a Lex-ified Prius. According to the report, a next-generation CT would come as a hybrid as well but would also be sold alongside an all-electric version, putting it in direct competition with Tesla's much-hyped, entry-level luxury EV.
"The CT has a high conquest ratio of 70 to 75 per cent. It's useful at bringing new people to the brand. People buy the CT for efficiency; with the UX, we’re looking for a different customer," Lexus Europe director Pascal Ruch said, speaking to the British publication. A second-gen CT is expected to share bones with the UX crossover, parent company Toyota's New Global Architecture C platform which also underpins the C-HR, Prius, and hot new Corolla.
"If the question is 'Will we replace the CT?', let’s say so." said Ruch. "We might have to think about a different approach to the sector. Maybe it's the time to find something new in the CT’s segment."
Auto Express says Toyota's Model 3 rival is scheduled to arrive in 2020. Just like its predecessor and the Tesla it aims to defeat, we expect it to start somewhere in the $30,000 range. We've reached out to the company for further comment and will update this story if we hear back.
UPDATE: In an email to The Drive, a Lexus spokesperson says they "haven't heard of any plans for an electric CT," so you might want to take today's news with a sizable grain of salt. The Lexus rep makes sure to add that the company is "excited about the launch of the UX to enter the growing luxury subcompact crossover segment."
- RELATEDWhy The New York Times Tesla Model 3 Review Is NonsenseThis is what happens when you downsize your automotive experts.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Lexus CT200h Dead in AmericaLexus will stop selling its luxo-Prius in the US for the 2018 model year.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota and Lexus Vehicles Will Get V2V/V2I Tech Starting in 2021It's a big boost for the technology.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere's the 2018 Lexus CT 200h America Won't Be Able to BuyThe Lexus hybrid hatchback goes under the knife.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Model 3 Is Crowned as America's 'Best Selling' Electric CarThe electric sedan had more deliveries than the Toyota Prius and Chevy Bolt.READ NOW