Questlove’s Story About Pink Limos, Finding Nemo and Prince
And it’s exactly as amazing as it sounds.
The Roots are fantastic. Part soul, part hip-hop, part whatever they feel like that day. They came out of Philly, this local sensation during the late Eighties, a quirky rap outfit playing their own instruments with aplomb. Now, they backup Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show. If you’ve ever feared for the stinking garbage fire that is popular music, The Roots will restore your faith in humanity. And Questlove is the backbone of it all.
He’s the group’s drummer and musical director, the son of Fifties doo-wop crooner Lee Andrews. Questo is a stocky 350-pound wonder-man with an Afro that’d make Pam Grier proud. He’s also one of the best storytellers in the industry.
Hence, the video below, Storyville Part 2, The Electric Boogaloo! From Okayplayer. In it, our man tells the tale of his blind date in a hot pink Hummer limousine, Prince in a runaway golf cart, Nigerian Afrobeat guru Fela Kutiand, and a shamefully bizarre episode involving Finding Nemo. You should watch it.
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Listen to Music the way Artists IntendedREAD NOW
- RELATEDRacetrack to Host Cool Music Fest "for Grownups”How do you keep a small circuit alive? Hot tunes and wine tasting, man.READ NOW
- RELATEDRock Stars Drive Cool CarsFrom David Bowie’s “invisible Mini” to the Monkeemobile, classic rock creates art classics.READ NOW
- RELATEDLemmy Kilmister, The Engine Behind MotörheadRemembering heavy metal’s pioneering bassist and singer, who died Monday.READ NOW
- RELATEDOn David Bowie and Car CrashesDid a cocaine-fueled accident really inspire one of The Thin White Duke’s greatest tracks?READ NOW