Hyundai Veloster N May Get a DCT Option
Don't worry, a six-speed manual will still be standard.
As we eagerly await the long-overdue update to the Hyundai Veloster, especially the high-performance Veloster N hot hatch, we have some news about the similar Hyundai i30 N (i30 is what the rest of the world calls the Elantra). The sporty i30 N will get a dual-clutch transmission option in late 2019.
There’s a pretty good chance the same option will eventually be available in our Hyundai Veloster N which will have a six-speed manual as the only transmission option when it launches sometime this year.
Hyundai Australia communications boss Bill Thomas said it’s a “no-brainer to bring the standard i30 N out once the DCT is online,” according to Car Advice. The publication also wrote Hyundai CEO said there are “sales limitations” to only offering a manual in the i30 N.
Those sales limitations are likely the main reason Hyundai is talking about a DCT option for its new hot hatch. According to the L.A. Times, less than 3 percent of cars sold in the U.S. in 2016 had manual transmissions, and we can’t imagine that take rate is higher now. That number was 25 percent in 1992. For that reason, it’s easy to imagine a Hyundai Veloster N in the U.S. with an available DCT, despite being aimed at the enthusiast crowd who often prefers to do the shifting.
We reached out to Hyundai asking about the possibility of a DCT in the Veloster N and a Hyundai representative confirmed that it would be launched with a manual only. However, he also said to “stay tuned for more news this summer.” We’ll definitely stay tuned and we’ll keep you posted.
- RELATEDListen to the Pre-Production Hyundai Veloster N's Crazy Exhaust SoundsHyundai's new mega-hatch is as vocal as they come.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis is The 275-Horsepower 2019 Hyundai Veloster NHyundai turns the tap on its lukewarm liftback all the way up to hot.READ NOW
- RELATEDHyundai Tucson N Is Coming, Says Hyundai N BossN versions of the Accent and Veloster also expected, but don't hold your breath for an M5-baiting Genesis G80 N-ytime soon.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch New Hyundai Veloster Hit the Streets in Ant-Man and the Wasp Movie TrailerThe hot rod version of the Korean hatchback stars in this new superhero flick.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe i30 N Will Make All Future Hyundais More FunWith the advent of Hyundai's first N car, the company says future cars across its line will be more entertaining.READ NOW