Rare Lee Iacocca 45th Anniversary Ford Mustang Headed to Auction
This is probably one of the most valuable S-197 Mustangs around.
The Ford Mustang has a long, 50-plus years of history presenting special editions and trim packages indicating style and performance. Sometimes they bear the name of the legendary Carroll Shelby and sometimes they’re named after the classic 1968 film Bullitt, but the father of the Mustang almost never gets his name on the car he turned into an icon.
An exception is this 2009 Lee Iacocca Silver Edition Ford Mustang celebrating the 45th anniversary of the Mustang. It was created in partnership with Galpin Ford in California and this particular one headed to the Barrett-Jackson auction block is the 20th example of a 45-model production run.
The Iacocca Silver Edition Mustang came with a supercharged version of the 4.6-liter Modular V-8 which brought the horsepower rating up to 400. This one is equipped with a five-speed manual transmission and comes with all sorts of documentation proving its authenticity. Oh, and it only has 500 miles on the clock.
On top of its performance upgrades, the Iacocca Mustang has a distinct appearance package that makes it look more like the concept car the production S-197 Mustang was based on. That means different bumpers, ground effects, louvers covering the rear windows, special wheels, a lack of a Mustang emblem in the grille, quilted leather interior trim, and "Iacocca" badging inside and out.
According to Barrett-Jackson’s records, this very car changed hands at the Scottsdale 2013 auction with a hammer price of $88,000. Could it hit a six-digit price this time around? If you’d like to bid on it yourself, head to the Palm Beach auction April 12-15.
- RELATED2004 Ford Shelby Cobra Concept Purchased by Engineer Who Helped Developed ItThe proceeds from the auction went to the restoration of Henry Ford's Fair Lane estate.READ NOW
- RELATEDHappy Birthday, Ford Mustang52 years ago today, the roaring lifetime of a cultural icon began in Queens, New York.READ NOW
- RELATEDFirst 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt Auctions for $300K, 100% of Hammer Price Goes to CharityAll of the money will go to benefit Boys Republic.READ NOW
- RELATEDRoy Lunn, Father of the Ford GT40 and Jeep Cherokee, Passes Away at 92From SUVs to supercars, the industry wouldn't be what it is today without Lunn's influence.READ NOW
- RELATEDLego's New 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback Is Your New Weekend ProjectThe vintage Mustang joins the Ford GT, Model A, Mustang, GT40, and Raptor sets already in production.READ NOW