Aston Martin May Put a V-12 in the New Vantage
While "technically possible," a Vantage with a V-12 may not align with the handling characteristics Aston is going for.
Unveiled in late November, the brand new Aston Martin Vantage will only come with one engine choice, an AMG-derived, 4.0-liter turbocharged V-8, when it goes on sale next year. A more prestigious V-12 version, à la its predecessor, was nowhere to be found. If a new report is to be believed, that may not be the case for long.
According to Aston CEO Andy Palmer speaking to Autocar, a V-12 powered variant of the new Vantage is "technically possible" and indeed under consideration, but will only become a thing if the company deems it fitting to the car's character.
"The V-12 is a question we’ll consider, but there has been no decision yet," Palmer told the British auto pub. "Technically, it is very possible. The engine bay has been designed to replicate that of the DB11, so the pick-up points and so on are all there. The V-12 would fit without the need for extensive modifications."
"But we have to consider the character of the new Vantage," the Aston boss continued. "This is our rebel, a really sporty car that stands out for its handling. The V-12 has many great attributes, but the extra weight would bring some differences in character that we’d need to consider."
With a seven-speed manual coming to the V-8 model within the next year, Palmer went on to confirm that a convertible version is also in the works and scheduled to debut sometime in the next 18 to 24 months.
- RELATEDThe 2019 Aston Martin Vantage Is a Wolf in Shark's ClothingAfter more than a decade, the Vantage gets a major upgrade...but is it enough to set the competition on edge?READ NOW
- RELATEDAvoid Your Family This Thanksgiving with Aston Martin's Vantage ConfiguratorEven if the Vantage is out of your price range, this sure beats enduring another one of your uncle's political rants.READ NOW
- RELATEDAston Martin Reveals All-New Vantage GTE for WEC CompetitionOut with the old and in with the new.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2019 Aston Martin Vantage is Almost Sold Out AlreadyPeople can't wait to spend $150,000 on the redesigned grand tourer.READ NOW
- RELATEDAston Martin Let Max Verstappen Loose in the New Vantage, and Many Tires DiedThe new Vantage may be smaller, but boy is it angry.READ NOW