Thieves Attempt Smash-and-Grab Burglary of Porsche Dealership, Damage $210,000 911 Turbo
The key word is "attempt" here.
Authorities in Texas are on the hunt for three men who made a real mess of an attempted robbery of a Porsche dealership in Houston, smashing windows and damaging three pricey P-cars as they failed to drag a safe out of the building with a metal chain and a pickup truck.
If you haven't heard the term before, a "smash-and-grab" is a fun twist on a regular old burglary where the suspects use a vehicle, usually a stolen, full-size pickup, to literally crash through the front of a business and gain access. According to KHOU, the men arrived at Momentum Porsche before dawn on Monday and rammed their Chevrolet Silverado through the dealership's giant glass windows.
The would-be thieves then smashed their way through the glass wall of the office containing the safe and wrapped a fifty-foot chain around it to drag it out, Fast 5-style. Unfortunately, the heist hit an unexpected snag—or rather, a door frame. Police say the truck's rear bumper got caught on the edge of the wall as they tried to drive out, forcing them to abandon the whole plan and flee on foot with nothing to show for their efforts.
Still, the men managed to inflict over $50,000 in damage to the dealership building and three cars that were parked inside on display, including a $210,000 Porsche 911 Turbo. We reached out to the dealership to get more details on the other two cars, and we'll update if we hear back. The three suspects were reportedly wearing heavy hooded coats and gloves, meaning the surveillance video won't be much help in tracking them down.
"It’s unfortunate, there’s just nothing, we don’t leave anything around, maybe you could grab a couple of shirts, those have tags on them too," Momentum General Manager Michael Denney told KHOU. "There’s nothing in here that’s sitting around, that’s worth tearing a whole dealership to get to."
- RELATEDWatch These Subtle Thieves Use a Telehandler as a Battering Ram to Steal an Entire ATMAnd destroy the side of the building while they're at it.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch These Thieves Destroy a Grocery Store With a Dodge Ram During an ATM HeistFinally, the Ram gets to live up to its name.READ NOW
- RELATEDFerrari Thief Caught After Running out of Fuel, Begging for Gas MoneyYou have to act like you've been there before, man.READ NOW
- RELATEDMaryland Car Thief Caught by Owner After Getting Stuck In Parking Garage ExitCrime doesn't pay, especially if you're bad at it.READ NOW
- RELATEDThieves Caught After Taking Stolen Dodge Hellcat, Chevrolet Camaro, Acura NSX to Drag StripGo big or go home.READ NOW